Broody hen will not leave the nest

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
I have a hen that went broody a couple weeks ago and has been sitting on six eggs. She refuses to leave the nest unless we make her and doesn't seem to eat or drink even if we leave it close to her. We've been forcing her off a couple times a day and she seems to enjoy stretching, pooping and getting some food/water. She's back on the nest within 15 minutes usually. Someone told me hens often will sit until they starve to death without intervention but I'm wondering if we're doing the right thing. While she was off the nest yesterday I noticed one broken egg which got a couple others dirty (yolk). I pulled it out but I'm not sure if the others are ruined.

Also, if the chicks do hatch, their coop is raised so I don't know how she'll get them down. We had to take the ramp out because the goats were going up it and getting into their food and causing a fuss with the birds. The nesting boxes are not really big enough for mama and her chicks so should we move them?

Another bird got on the nest last night next to her so I'm wondering if she's going broody now too. Any tips would be helpful!

I have a hen that went broody a couple weeks ago and has been sitting on six eggs. She refuses to leave the nest unless we make her and doesn't seem to eat or drink even if we leave it close to her. We've been forcing her off a couple times a day and she seems to enjoy stretching, pooping and getting some food/water. She's back on the nest within 15 minutes usually. Someone told me hens often will sit until they starve to death without intervention but I'm wondering if we're doing the right thing. While she was off the nest yesterday I noticed one broken egg which got a couple others dirty (yolk). I pulled it out but I'm not sure if the others are ruined.

Also, if the chicks do hatch, their coop is raised so I don't know how she'll get them down. We had to take the ramp out because the goats were going up it and getting into their food and causing a fuss with the birds. The nesting boxes are not really big enough for mama and her chicks so should we move them?

Another bird got on the nest last night next to her so I'm wondering if she's going broody now too. Any tips would be helpful!
If anyone has more advice around this issue I would really appreciate it. I know it's a lot of questions but I'm a newbie with the broodie :).

When I have a broody hen I put her in "broody jail". I have a pen inside the run that I put her in during the day so she can't go sit in the nest box. I leave nothing in there but food and water, but it works in about 3 days. Of course I do not leave her in at night, she roosts with the others (or ends back up in the nest box) but first thing in the morning she goes back to broody jail. Works like a charm.

When I have a broody hen I put her in "broody jail". I have a pen inside the run that I put her in during the day so she can't go sit in the nest box. I leave nothing in there but food and water, but it works in about 3 days. Of course I do not leave her in at night, she roosts with the others (or ends back up in the nest box) but first thing in the morning she goes back to broody jail. Works like a charm.
I had to do that last year and it worked well. Same hen went broody again so we thought we'd let her give it a try which is why I have some questions about whether she needs to be forced off the nest to exercise and rest. We have been doing that the last two weeks. She's out for about 15 minutes and then back on the nest. I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not. She doesn't get out of the nest to eat and drink even if I put them right there (that I've noticed) but she still needs to go to the bathroom and stretch but maybe I'm overthinking it. Now we're in the 3rd week so I'm hopeful some will hatch.

If you truly want chicks, you will have to endure a long period of difficult times. Chickens often lose feathers, weight, health, and sometimes their lives when broody. I had a broody Orpington who I allowed to sit the whole time, she would get off once a day, run around like a crazy hen, poop a glob the size of a golf ball, eat, drink, then back in all within 15 min. It to me is heartbreaking to watch, especially since after all of that, NONE of the eggs hatched.
I now put my hens in "broody jail" also if they won't stop within a few days.

If you wish to follow it through, I encourage you to force her off the nest at least once a day and she should eat/drink enough to stay fairly healthy. They can get nasty and peck you, but they are just being protective. Also, keep an eye on the other hens. Sometimes they bully a broody hen unmercifully if she leaves the nest.

I had to do that last year and it worked well. Same hen went broody again so we thought we'd let her give it a try which is why I have some questions about whether she needs to be forced off the nest to exercise and rest. We have been doing that the last two weeks. She's out for about 15 minutes and then back on the nest. I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not. She doesn't get out of the nest to eat and drink even if I put them right there (that I've noticed) but she still needs to go to the bathroom and stretch but maybe I'm overthinking it. Now we're in the 3rd week so I'm hopeful some will hatch.
Ya my advice is not really helpful if you are already into the hatching process. Chickens know what to do naturally, just let them be and she will get off when needed, etc. Have you tried candling the eggs to see if they are all good? Are you marking the eggs in case new ones have been laid by other girls? Yes you are probably overthinking it but understandably so! Good luck and let us know what happens :)

If you truly want chicks, you will have to endure a long period of difficult times. Chickens often lose feathers, weight, health, and sometimes their lives when broody. I had a broody Orpington who I allowed to sit the whole time, she would get off once a day, run around like a crazy hen, poop a glob the size of a golf ball, eat, drink, then back in all within 15 min. It to me is heartbreaking to watch, especially since after all of that, NONE of the eggs hatched.
I now put my hens in "broody jail" also if they won't stop within a few days.

If you wish to follow it through, I encourage you to force her off the nest at least once a day and she should eat/drink enough to stay fairly healthy. They can get nasty and peck you, but they are just being protective. Also, keep an eye on the other hens. Sometimes they bully a broody hen unmercifully if she leaves the nest.
Thank you so much. This is really helpful. So sad about your Orpington. That would be hard for me to watch. I just got 3 Orpingtons and some Cochin chicks (I like sweet broodies but I might regret that lol).

Thankfully, mine is not aggressive at all when I pull her off the nest. She's all fluffy and seems like she's in a trance. We've been pulling her off 2-3 times a day so maybe I should limit it to 2. We put her on the other side of the pond next to the water and she drinks, poops and makes her way back to eat, clean feathers etc. One other hen in particular is pretty rough on her. The rooster circled her to keep her out of the group :( but she seems to be handling herself ok.

Should I not remove her around day 19? I know they don't all hatch at the same time so I don't want her to go days without leaving the nest. I'm also going to have to move them if they hatch because it's a raised coop with no ramp (goats).

Last edited:
Any issues with a broken egg getting some yolk on the other eggs? It's not too much but it concerns me they got messy. I'm not sure how that happened.

Back
Top Bottom