🙄🤚Do More!😩🤚 Less is More® Kiki Winz!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I am looking for the highest lumens number that actually works well for looking into eggs?
I currently have a 500 lumens flashlight and it works well but I want to get another brighter one.

I am looking for the highest lumens number that actually works well for looking into eggs?
I currently have a 500 lumens flashlight and it works well but I want to get another brighter one.
I use a Cree 3000 lumens flashlight that I converted to a candler using foam pipe insulation. The benefit of adding the pipe insulation is that it directs all the light into the egg instead of letting it get spread out everywhere.

This type of flashlight is now available in 5000 lumens. I use rechargeable batteries in mine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-shipped-eggs.704328/page-2669#post-13465420

Simple yet effective

20180422_185406.jpg
20180422_185340.jpg

Don't know the lumens but like the other post the light is concentrated

I use a Cree 3000 lumens flashlight that I converted to a candler using foam pipe insulation. The benefit of adding the pipe insulation is that it directs all the light into the egg instead of letting it get spread out everywhere.

This type of flashlight is now available in 5000 lumens. I use rechargeable batteries in mine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-shipped-eggs.704328/page-2669#post-13465420
So the 3000 isn't too bright correct?
Would you buy the 5000 one to use for candling eggs?

So the 3000 isn't too bright correct?
Would you buy the 5000 one to use for candling eggs?
3000 lumens is not too bright but the peak (brightest ) does not last very long as the battery runs down quickly when candling a lot of eggs. Because the pipe insulation I put on mine prevents the light from actually touching the egg and how short a time (usually less than 1 second) I candle an egg, I am not concerned about heating up the egg. For my purposes I would not have a problem getting a 5000 lumens model but mine works good enough for me.

At its brightest, I have had no problems candling very dark (equivalent to Maran's dark brown) Welsummer eggs.

I actually asked the same question somewhere around here and the answer came back that 1000 lumens was just fine for candling and would not damage the embryo. The brighter the better, was, I think the motto.

Back
Top Bottom