What killed my chickens?

PastaChickenBoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
MD
Recently, four of my chickens were killed/succumbed to injuries by an unknown predator. I don't have images, but their bodies remained and weren't taken away by whatever got them. My mom reported puncture wounds on their necks/backs, she thinks it was a hawk. There wasn't any blood either.
Today we found a pile of feathers (no blood) on the ground from a wild bird, and the kills of my other chickens weren't nearly as messy (although I did notice some feathers on the ground, there weren't nearly as many). I feel like that must've been a fox.
I'm not sure what could've killed them - if there was a hawk it would've started eating them and the bodies were intact. Any ideas?

Do you have coyotes around? Coyotes will kill sometimes just for the fun of it and usually do so by grabbing the back of the neck then shaking them violently so their neck breaks and/or inside collapse.

Do you have coyotes around? Coyotes will kill sometimes just for the fun of it and usually do so by grabbing the back of the neck then shaking them violently so their neck breaks and/or inside collapse.
I'm not sure. They do live in my state but I live in a pretty suburban area near a highway. Could be a possibility though - we have had dogs and foxes get into the yard before. That's good to know.

Were the birds inside of the coop/run or out free ranging? My guess is weasel/mink or dog. Both will kill multiple birds at a time for fun, but there is usually a little more carnage with dogs, and weasels/minks will stack their prey neatly.
They were free ranging. They weren't stacked and there was almost no carnage. I heard the neighbor's dogs barking when they were killed but they weren't in our yard.
I'm not sure if my state has weasels (google says it does) - wouldn't be surprised though.

I'm not sure. They do live in my state but I live in a pretty suburban area near a highway. Could be a possibility though - we have had dogs and foxes get into the yard before. That's good to know.
I live in a city about 38,000 population. There are foxes and coyotes around. Raccoons too. They can be nasty

I live in a city about 38,000 population. There are foxes and coyotes around. Raccoons too. They can be nasty
That makes sense. Do you have any tips for predator-proofing a yard against things like that? We've never had a problem with predators here - it was a real nasty shock when my chickens got killed.

That makes sense. Do you have any tips for predator-proofing a yard against things like that? We've never had a problem with predators here - it was a real nasty shock when my chickens got killed.
Well, I'm afraid I don't have tips to keep predators out of the yard, because I'm not a chicken owner yet. In my city it's illegal to keep birds in residential areas. Even though other cities nearby allow them.

Maybe Google has an answer? Good luck

An electric fence would be your best bet. Meanwhile, whatever killed them will continue lurking, and a camera may help you identify the killer. I'm sorry for your losses.

Recently, four of my chickens were killed/succumbed to injuries by an unknown predator. I don't have images, but their bodies remained and weren't taken away by whatever got them. My mom reported puncture wounds on their necks/backs, she thinks it was a hawk. There wasn't any blood either.
Today we found a pile of feathers (no blood) on the ground from a wild bird, and the kills of my other chickens weren't nearly as messy (although I did notice some feathers on the ground, there weren't nearly as many). I feel like that must've been a fox.
I'm not sure what could've killed them - if there was a hawk it would've started eating them and the bodies were intact. Any ideas?
Okay, so just wanted to mention
The hawk attack i had, no blood or body, if they are small enough they will take them and leave feathers in place. Like a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom