What is the recipe to SPANGLE a chicken?

Olivers poultry

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2016
Chesterfield, England
My Coop
My Coop
Hi , how can a bird be bred to be 'Spangled'? I have owned spangled birds in the past but I have never found out what the recipe for a bird to be bred to have spangled offspring is? Depending how it is done I Might try breeding some spangled birds!

Last edited:
Well first you go to a hardware store and buy a can of white paint. Plus a brush with nice heavy bristles. Then put your chicken in a wire cage with the bars about 2 inches apart. Next open the can and dip the brush lightly into the paint. Not too much paint on the brush tho. Now hold the brush about a foot away from the side of the bird. Not in front, don't want to get paint in their face! Pull back the bristles of the brush with one hand( remembered to buy those vinyl gloves, right?). Now let go of the bristles and ( if you did it right) the tiny droplets of paint should fly thru the air and lightly spangle your bird. Remember to use latex paint. That way if the spangles are too large you can give the bird a bath and try it again. Remember,... it's all in the wrist.
Best,
Karen

Or you could look up Marvin ( BYC nick: nicalandia). He's a human genetics calculator and can help you with your question.

Last edited:
Hi Oliver,
I really mean that about contacting Marvin. He's very knowledgeable. If you tell him what you have, he can tell you how to get where you want to go. Marvin has helped me a lot with different color questions I had. Is well known around BYC for his color expertise.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Remember , I only want serious answers about how to breed a spangle , even though this made me chuckle!
I am not Marvin but I can help.

What variety of birds do you have to breed? Do you have double laced birds (dark cornish or barnevlder) and autosomally barred birds ( hamburgh). Silver laced polish and autosomal barred birds will work.

Spangling ( as in spangled appenzeller) is polygenic. E locus is homozygous birchen (homozygous brown will work also), two dark brown genes, two melanotic genes and two pattern genes. The bird will also carry sex-linked silver. That is the genotype that will express the silver spangled secondary plumage pattern.

The following genes are linked; dark brown (db)-melanotic (ml)-pattern (pg). ten centimorgans between db and ml and 7 centimorgans between ml and pg. They are linked close together so the probability of them being inherited together is good.

If you are talking about game fowl and russian orloff, the genotype is different. they are wheaten or wild type at the E locus and carry the recessive mottling gene.

Last edited:
Well the three birds I have at the moment are all hen - Easter egger , vorwerk and gold campine- the campine is barred and the other two are normal feathered, I can always buy birds in order to spangle them but I would only like to know how to do it at this moment in time!

If you cross your Campine with a double laced breed like a Barnevelder or Dark Cornish, the offspring will be spangled. But it will probably be poor quality spangling, since there has been no selection.
You can also cross your Campine with a spangled breed like a Hamburg, and get spangled chicks, again, the quality of spangling will be poor.
PS: Don't confuse spangling with mottling. Spangles are black, mottles are white.

Back
Top Bottom