What is my Turkey?

Pearlescent

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
I have a Turkey hen who is supposedly a Sweetgrass X Standard bronze, but I have reason to believe her mother was actually a midget white, from the photos of her mother and siblings. I am just curious as to what she is. I can’t find any pictures that look like her, she has white wing stripes, tan tail tip & red and tan speckles.

Not sure if this is important, but she started laying eggs at 9 months.

Attachments

• IMG_6731.png
    IMG_6731.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
I have a Turkey hen who is supposedly a Sweetgrass X Standard bronze, but I have reason to believe her mother was actually a midget white, from the photos of her mother and siblings. I am just curious as to what she is. I can’t find any pictures that look like her, she has white wing stripes, tan tail tip & red and tan speckles.

Not sure if this is important, but she started laying eggs at 9 months.
In this picture she almost look like an Auburn.
Can you post more pictures of her in natural daylight?

In this picture she almost look like an Auburn.
Can you post more pictures of her in natural daylight?
it’s overcast where I live, so all recent photos are lacking of sun, but when there is sun, she shines blue and green.
I’m pretty sure she isn’t an official breed, because I met her mother and she’s fully white, and her father was a bronze variant. Unless I’ve been fully lied to by the people who gave her to me, which is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_8110.jpeg
    IMG_8110.jpeg
    977.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8109.jpeg
    IMG_8109.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8108.png
    IMG_8108.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
oh, also, her two siblings, a male and a female, looked like standard bronzes. Sister died, male is an adult in a different home.

it’s overcast where I live, so all recent photos are lacking of sun, but when there is sun, she shines blue and green.
I’m pretty sure she isn’t an official breed, because I met her mother and she’s fully white, and her father was a bronze variant. Unless I’ve been fully lied to by the people who gave her to me, which is possible.
Based on these pictures, she's definitely an Auburn. If her mother was a white, then she's definitely split for white. Her father must have been a brown-carrier.
This also explains why the siblings looked like standard Bronze. The brown-allele is an sex-linked recessive allele.

The female offspring had a 50/50 chance of inheriting it.
Male would not show the effects of this allele at all, as they would need 2 copies of this allele.

Back
Top Bottom