What eats my golf balls? in the winter

RWise

Songster
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Oakhurst Oklahoma
Ok I keep 1 golf ball in each nest, I do this to kill snakes in the warm months. However it is not warn at all out, not warn enuf for snakes to be out. I also dont have alligators, to cold for them here in Oklahoma. But over the last 5-6 weeks I have had 15 golf balls disappear out of 1 nest. Started out 1 at a time, so I put 2 in this nest and both zapped. So I put 9 golf balls in this nest (my hens are not using this nest at this time, but it got their attention, count those again), a few nights ago 2 were taken, night before last 6 were taken! This is always at night (grandkids are not doing this), never any commotion, the coop is just outside my bedroom window and this nest is between those points. The other nests are inside the coop.
I know I have predators, but nothing like this has happened before most of my issues come from the cat/s and dog/s next door (ya we fight a lot). I have taken out several opossums this last year (last 3 months).
I now have foot traps around this nest (I must protect my girls!!) at night, covered in the daytime.
Any thoughts on what I may (or may not) catch?
What eats golf balls in the winter?
And can they pass them? Snakes cannot,,,

A coon was a thought, but would they eat the ball? (and come back for more?) They would need to swallow it hole.
No holes, no tracks I can make out, my rat terriers smell all around, but dont act very excited. I did find a place where something is/was going under the fence, I have a live trap in that hole now. But many of these wild critters can go over the fence as well.
I also know that a bird was lost next door as we found what was left down near the creek. It was eaten from the inside and front, possum?

Possum maybe. Would any animal eat them and come back for more? I'm sure they have a chicken odor from being in the box but it's going to take massive jaw strength to eat them. Plus, one at a time is one thing, but 6 all at once?

Rats, I keep one bite 2 rat bars in all the 6 sheds and in the 4 homes, we had a rat issue last fall. After the rat bars were 50% gone I see no more signs of rats or mice (doesn't mean they are not here).
I was a bit shocked to look out the window and see 6 golf balls gone in one night! I do not think they are chewing them but ,, either just taking them or swallowing them hole.
Can a possum pass a golf ball? What about 6? Or maybe it is bringing friends,,,
How many (I have plenty) can it eat before it starves to death?
I would not miss a few golf clubs missing, I have about a thousand,,,. And I dont play golf!

I think we can rule out a niffler......since they don't exist.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Niffler

But then there are pack rats.......

I too keep golf balls in nest boxes, yet have never lost a single one. So I'm no help.

Your best (and likely only) way of knowing "FORE!" sure is to setup a trail/game camera. That almost always solves the mystery.

Back
Top Bottom