What do you when at chicken shows

Oh I see sounds fun and if you win alot of shows dose that mean maybe more customers

They're two different worlds. People who understand chicken shows know that if they did not either meet you through a show or through a reputable person from a show, then they shouldn't buy birds from you. People who don't know that will buy birds from anyone who says, "I'm a breeder," on-line.

A veteran judge once told me that a breeder isn't a breeder when she or he says so, but when judges and experienced breeders say so, and there's a lot of truth in that.

On-line folks who haven't yet graduated to the show attendee level frequently lack the observational experience to distinguish between standard-bred and free-for-all stock.

A person does not have to show chickens to be a "Breeder". But, "breeders" do need to know, understand and breed toward the breed's SOP. True breeders have made a commitment to their flock to breed for improvement.

If you are talking to someone about buying chicks, they need to be breeding chickens that did not come from a hatchery, unless they are going to represent the chicks exactly as being exactly what they are. Meaning they are not SQ chicks.

There is nothing wrong with the "average Joe" breeding his chickens to have a few chicks to offer to the public, I have been doing this for years. But, my customers always knew that they were taking home "average Joe" chicks that we're going to mature into friendly little egg layers. But, I woild never consider myself a serious "breeder".

Last edited:
Even when all of your breeding stock is Show Quality, you will have plenty of average birds to sell when you cull the young birds from what you have hatched.

Check out some of the threads on here about breeders of heritage chickens. Some of them claim that they keep less than 10% of the chicks that their SOP quality breeding flock produces.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom