What did you do in the garden today?

View attachment 3823974
Frost damaged walnut tree is putting out new leaves, it will cost it a lot of energy, I fear no walnuts this year 😬
View attachment 3823975
My clematis in full bloom, I love the color 🥰
I planted my dahlias in pots, I hope no more frost 🙏🏻
Also put my aloe outside, they have to winter inside ..
Watered my newly planted black currants with nettle brew, what a smell 🤪
What a gorgeous color Clematis! I've never seen one like that. ❤️

Rained a little bit between fits of sunshine.

I came up with a good use for all the banana boxes I've been accumulating from when I get the chickens' produce trimmings at the grocery store. More to follow...

I set my tomato plants outside to start the hardening off process.
I filled mine with dirt and planted melons. It worked really well.

Its either sun gold or sun sugar and the amount of water seem to affect the sweetness. I left my sun sugar in its 20-gallon kratky trash bin and let the solution dry out after I got tired of eating them. The fruit left on the drying out plant were sweeter almost like candy.
I love those sun gold that's my reward treat for working on those hot muggy days. DH won't eat them so that's just for me.

Morning all. Beautiful out there. Thought about calling in sick to go stare at the stuff coming up in the garden, but I think about that every day. :lau
🤣 I think about the same. Today I have to go out to several job sites though. Two are huge crop fields so at least I'll see some veggies/ fruit growing. Hopefully it's not windy, I hate getting sand blasted.
Rain coming in about 5 hours, and storms, possibly severe, coming about 3 hours after that. This should motivate me to get going.

It's not working, so far. I'll try more coffee.
I read about people working in the garden in the pouring rain. It should motivate and inspire me but it doesn't. 🤣 I prefer to stare out the window with a cup of coffee in hand. Especially when a storm is blowing in and the wind is cold and cutting. We don't really get warm storms here. Maybe once a year in late summer.

Yesterday I watered the clover. Picked a big handful of snap peas. I grew a packet of the wrong kind.... I only had a few of the meaty pod ones left from last year. So at least I have a few of those, but I apparently planted the flat pod type this year. Oops. They're still delicious but not what I wanted. I was even really careful picking the packets out. I usually order seed but didn't have enough time for the peas and got them from Home Desperate.

I rarely buy plants or seeds from Home Cheapo.... But this year they had well priced tomato plants from burpee. $3 each and 4 packs of peppers for $4. Small plants compared to some that were from Bonnie's but it was early enough in the season that it was a no brainer to get the cheaper smaller plants. However our local garden shop always beats them, but it's hard to get there before they sell out. I managed a few tomatoes from them and peppers. Huge plants for $3.95. always a great deal IMO. So I can always add fun variety to try from their supply.

Oh yeah! And most of my garden is doing well. My seedlings were angry with the lack of light but they'll be alright.

Well the fog lifted, mostly. Took some photos.
Yesterday got 12 raspberries planted across the back. (10 wild plants I moved, 2 bought at Tractor Supply)
20240507_095801.jpg 20240507_095748.jpg
Moved the 6 Swamp Milkweed plants to the wildflower garden.
20240507_095644.jpg
Got the Marigolds planted in 3 pots by the chicken coops.

See where I can plant creeping Thyme?
20240507_095553.jpg 20240507_095520.jpg

I did weed the wildflower areas, pulled out as much nutsedge as I could without disturbing the flower seedlings.

This morning...my muck boots stink! I put some baking soda, baking powder & Lavender oil in them...ugh, they still stink. Any suggestions? Maybe rip out the sole, spray with white vinegar & put new soles in? How do boots get that musty smell? My socks were wet at the end of the day, too. Darn boots must have pinholes...they don't last forever. 😒

Last edited:
🤣 I think about the same. Today I have to go out to several job sites though. Two are huge crop fields so at least I'll see some veggies/ fruit growing. Hopefully it's not windy, I hate getting sand blasted.
I hate wind, too! Sand blasted skin, hair blown into my eyeballs & pollen or whatever debris is blowing that makes my nose drip all day...not a fan of wind...unless it is wind on a motorcycle.

I read about people working in the garden in the pouring rain. It should motivate and inspire me but it doesn't. 🤣 I prefer to stare out the window with a cup of coffee in hand.
To be honest, it was not rainy & was not supposed to be rainy when I went out there initially...but once I got into what I was doing, I was not going to stop. I did duck into the coop when it rained harder, but it kept starting & stopping...so yeah, it was rather warm so I kept at it. Now if it had been cold...or remotely chilly...no way, these achy bones cannot deal with Cold And Damp.

Can you get a close up photo? Looks like rounded leaves but when I enlarge it gets too blurry. I can't tell but it could be one of these...they sometimes take up residence in my empty pots.
My chickens Love this 1st one...our local chickweed.
20240507_103006.jpg
20240507_102758.jpg

Other invaders
20240507_105542.jpg
20240507_102636.jpg 20240507_102946.jpg 20240507_104329.jpg 20240507_104305.jpg 20240507_104254.jpg 20240507_104134.jpg 20240507_104129.jpg

Oh and these little guys ❤️
20240507_104645.jpg

Last edited:
I rarely buy plants or seeds from Home Cheapo.... But this year they had well priced tomato plants from burpee. $3 each and 4 packs of peppers for $4.
I broke down and bought small pepper plants this year . They were $5.00 each! Local FFA school nursery was only open once a week??! Too bad I'd rather have given them my money.
Anyhoo I was given a thank you gift card for $30.00 for volunteering at thrift store, so used that on my plants.... so basically they were free( notice the chicken math there)
I planted pepper seeds but holy moly they show no signs of coming up! I forgot what a pain they are!. I bought 1 jalapeno, 1 tricked you? says it jalapeno flavor but milder, ( I will love that) 1 big Jim, 1 Marconi, My maiden name was mosconi) and BONUS I discovered yesterday it had to plants in pot! :weeso heck yes I divided those yesterday.
Hope I like them. And 1 sun gold.
Tomato plants are like chick days for me but I held out and only bought 1 ( so far) cause I have enough tomatoes canned.! I need to write that 100 times! :he.
My cuke seeds are looking nice tho and my diakon radishes are just now emerging in raised garden, planted beets and beans B4 hubby went in for torn quad repair last week.
I am going to finish planting raised garden with carrots , parsnips, kohlrabi. And try pole beans for first time.

Has anyone ever tried celeriac here? I hope it grows I love flavor but hubby does not like it and hates the strings!

I need to finish cleaning off mineral wicking tubs; I put chix poo layer then threw a layer of wood ash then layer of my deep bedding from coop.
Well I found out we have Alkaline soil here so no go on the ash. So I'm scraping off those layers and only adding in my compost, then mulch. I still need to plant stuff in those.

I did overwinter a bunch of pepper plants and they did great. They're wimpy looking , leaves are sad but hey they're 24" tall and even had some baby red peppers this last winter. Well worth the head start to me. Looks like pepper plants are my new chicken math! :eek:.

I made cowboy candy with most of them last year big hit with family and friends. I saw a YT video about making sweet heat pickled eggs I might try.
Sorry this was a long rant but haven't been able to keep up with y'all then took 2 days ( in between nurse maid stuff) to catch up on all posts. Thanx.

I hate wind, too! Sand blasted skin, hair blown into my eyeballs & pollen or whatever debris is blowing that makes my nose drip all day...not a fan of wind...unless it is wind on a motorcycle.
Me too ! Blow everything off of dash, slam car door on legs, dirt in eyes and stuck to lips, hair in mouth and a ratted mess, gave up on contacts years ago. Don't dare plant lettuce or carrots in this wind! Been trying to spray lawn for a month now, either too windy or eminent chance of rain! Oh well the bees love my dandelions:gigneighbor and hubby not so much!

Back
Top Bottom