What did you do in the garden today?

Didn't do anything for my 'garden' today. Just cleaned out my gutters and disrupted an ant nest in the process (it's...been a while since i last cleaned the gutters...). Fun. Checked on the fruit trees, I'm a bit worried about the peaches. There's two left, the rest were duds, but one has one small area with slight 'wrinkles' on it :/ not sure what that means. The sheepnose apples got pruned down to two apple-lings so as to not break the young branches. The Dry Creek pippin blossoms did not successfully make apples this year, but I am encouraged by the fact it flowered at all. I am also encouraged by the early transparent apple leafing up so nicely after it was so ravaged by the rust last year.

Found a second wild grape vine, if I find another (quite possible under the mess of honeysuckle + whatever else still out there), I think I'll try to transplant it to the bare gazebo frame on my porch. Has anyone had experience transplanting wild grapes/muscadines?
You can have all the wild grapevines you want, come and get'em. They grow on my chain link fence.

Also, help yourself to honeysuckle, wisteria, Virginia Creeper, and privet.
:mad:

(why I need goats) ;)

Big day in the garden.
All the pots and beds are filled up.
We have
Zuchinni? Squash, pickles, potatos, broccoli, carrots, jalapeños, beans, peas, onions, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, basil, thyme, peppermint, dill and of course a bunch of colorful flowers 💐

Attachments

• 20240503_190252.jpg
    20240503_190252.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240503_190226.jpg
    20240503_190226.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 2
You can have all the wild grapevines you want, come and get'em. They grow on my chain link fence.

Also, help yourself to honeysuckle, wisteria, Virginia Creeper, and privet.
:mad:

(why I need goats) ;)
I hate privets.... Ugh. My neighbors must think I'm the worst, I have privets... I randomly hit them with the chainsaw every few years... Eventually I'll pull them out.

I hate privets.... Ugh. My neighbors must think I'm the worst, I have privets... I randomly hit them with the chainsaw every few years... Eventually I'll pull them out.
They're like triffids here. Right now several tall ones that are growing next to my property (but in the woods) are blooming, and it's a nasty sweet smell. Blech.

They're like triffids here. Right now several tall ones that are growing next to my property (but in the woods) are blooming, and it's a nasty sweet smell. Blech.
Yeah I hate them. The smell, the berries, the leaves... The only reason they are still here at my house is because they give our neighbors privacy. Not me, the cute little family with the Subaru. I want them to have the privacy so I haven't torn them out. I just want them to be comfortable. I want to be ready to put up a privacy fence for them when I tear those out.

Yeah I hate them. The smell, the berries, the leaves... The only reason they are still here at my house is because they give our neighbors privacy. Not me, the cute little family with the Subaru. I want them to have the privacy so I haven't torn them out. I just want them to be comfortable. I want to be ready to put up a privacy fence for them when I tear those out.
I've left some along the fence for privacy as well. I'd love to put up a privacy fence but it's not quite happening.

I was so upset at the new neighbor behind us. He's been clearing his lot, which was incredibly overgrown. I suggested that he leave some big holly bushes that were growing along our fence, for privacy. They were about 10' tall. Nope. He got chainsaw happy, cut them all down and had a big bonfire. So I left a small grove of privet that I was planning to cut down. Argh.

Today, I spent a few hours tarting garden bed cleanup. I'm way behind on it, but as long as it gets done. I mainly was pulling out grass, but there were other weeds, too. It's amazing how sneaky grass is. You look at your garden bed and think, "I'm pretty sure this used to be bigger..." and then realize the grass is pushing its way into the bed from all sides! I got 3 of....... 13? 14? done.....

Back
Top Bottom