What Color is this Serama?

Frizzle and Friends

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Southern Maine
A family member of mine recently got into chickens and has expanded their flock to contain Seramas. Now I know Seramas are pretty much all mixed colors and it's hard to know what genes they have. I will say that when I saw them, I immediately noticed that their rooster was a color I'd never seen before and I've got no idea what the genetics behind it are.
He's definitely gold and mottled, but that's the only thing for certain. The thing I really am curious about is the black dilution genes he appears to have. It's much lighter than dun or chocolate but seems way too dark to be khaki. The hen that they have from the same source appears to be just dun or chocolate (Picture 4).
The only thing I could think of him possibly being was mauve, but that just doesn't seem right either. I think there could be more dilution genes at play here, but dun and chocolate are two genes that I've never seen in person. What do you guys think is going on here?

20230712_184234.jpg
20230712_184316.jpg
20230712_184159.jpg
20230712_184345.jpg

A family member of mine recently got into chickens and has expanded their flock to contain Seramas. Now I know Seramas are pretty much all mixed colors and it's hard to know what genes they have. I will say that when I saw them, I immediately noticed that their rooster was a color I'd never seen before and I've got no idea what the genetics behind it are.
He's definitely gold and mottled, but that's the only thing for certain. The thing I really am curious about is the black dilution genes he appears to have. It's much lighter than dun or chocolate but seems way too dark to be khaki. The hen that they have from the same source appears to be just dun or chocolate (Picture 4).
The only thing I could think of him possibly being was mauve, but that just doesn't seem right either. I think there could be more dilution genes at play here, but dun and chocolate are two genes that I've never seen in person. What do you guys think is going on here?

View attachment 3798867View attachment 3798868View attachment 3798869View attachment 3798870
Wow, he's a pretty bird! Might be a cocopop something? I'm not the best at color but he could be a cocopop mix.

Wow, he's a pretty bird! Might be a cocopop something? I'm not the best at color but he could be a cocopop mix.
Thank you so much! I'd never heard of the cocopop color, so I did some digging on it. From what I found here, is it seems that the brown color in cocopop is chocolate or or a similar gene (I was seeing dun or pumpkin most frequently mentioned), or a combination of the two. The rooster in question is similar to cocopop, but seems to be missing some of genes that make up the color.
I did a little more digging on chocolate and dun combined, because I remembered them being mentioned before with pictures and found an older thread that called the color beige. It also had images of that color and I think you were spot on with your suggestion!
Here's the thread if you want to see it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dun-khaki-chocolate.1401931/

It sure seems that whatever color he is is the same as what's in cocopops. The theory of two genes being combined also makes sense with the pullet being chocolate.

Thank you so much! I'd never heard of the cocopop color, so I did some digging on it. From what I found here, is it seems that the brown color in cocopop is chocolate or or a similar gene (I was seeing dun or pumpkin most frequently mentioned), or a combination of the two. The rooster in question is similar to cocopop, but seems to be missing some of genes that make up the color.
I did a little more digging on chocolate and dun combined, because I remembered them being mentioned before with pictures and found an older thread that called the color beige. It also had images of that color and I think you were spot on with your suggestion!
Here's the thread if you want to see it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dun-khaki-chocolate.1401931/

It sure seems that whatever color he is is the same as what's in cocopops. The theory of two genes being combined also makes sense with the pullet being chocolate.
Glad I could help! I had a friend who had a cocopop, and yours kind of matched the color and pattern.

Back
Top Bottom