What can be wrong with my chicken please help!!

Flaka

Chirping
Aug 23, 2023
Hi as you can see in the picture my chicken some how has a wound on her crop and she keeps pecking on it. What can I do and what do you guys think it can be from? Please help!!

Attachments

• 20240320_175514.jpg
    20240320_175514.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 95
Hi as you can see in the picture my chicken some how has a wound on her crop and she keeps pecking on it. What can I do
There is a spray or ointment I believe that you can buy to stop the pecking BUT unsure if you can put it on open wounds like that
and what do you guys think it can be from?
Is there any broken glass where she ranges, lays, or roosts?
Please help!!
It looks like a slash or a cut, that is why i ask about the glass

There is a spray or ointment I believe that you can buy to stop the pecking BUT unsure if you can put it on open wounds like that

Is there any broken glass where she ranges, lays, or roosts?

It looks like a slash or a cut, that is why i ask about the glass
Hi thanks for answering me. Ok that sounds good but your unsure if I can put it on her open wound. Not that I noticed we are always checking their surroundings. I have put on corn starch but she pecks on herself this evening she had a little bit a blood and want to know how to take care of her and why she keeps pecking herself we try to put a cloth so she stops.

im unsure luv....check wherever she takes a dirt bath at and if you have a burn pile of some sort check it also...How is she today???
Hi thanks for asking for her and we have checked everywhere nothing no glass no nothing it does seem like a big cut from something but unsure from what? She seemed better she pecked at it but we made a cloth thing so she doesn't peck anymore we are hoping she gets better day by day. She is active and when we were doing the cloth thing she was moving everywhere and after that she felt it weird our silly girl. But hopefully she gets use to it until she is all better. I will keep you updated. Thanks again.

Is she eating and drinking well? Does food or water seem to be leaking from the laceration in her crop? Could a rooster spur have cut her? Does her crop empty by early morning? Would it be possible for you to see a vet to have the crop stitched together? There are 2 layers of the skin that have to be stitched or glued with surgical glue.

Yes she is eating and drinking well and being very active.no food or water leaking. No vet here thats the hard part.

Great that the crop isn't punctured, or at least it'e healing up some?
We use Vetericn as a cleaning and healing poultry wound dress, but DO cover it with sports wrap and antibiotic ointment and be sure to change the wrap every day so it's not getting infected or smelly until the skin is healed... Hope she feels well soon!

Great that the crop isn't punctured, or at least it'e healing up some?
We use Vetericn as a cleaning and healing poultry wound dress, but DO cover it with sports wrap and antibiotic ointment and be sure to change the wrap every day so it's not getting infected or smelly until the skin is healed... Hope she feels well soon!
Hi it seems to be healing but we worry when in the mornings she Wakes up she will peck herself it's hard to see the blood. Thanks for the advice I will do that right now I cut a shirt cloth to have it covered but will look for sports wrap. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom