How and when to set shipped eggs with probable air cell issues? Please help!

Cheeper Keeper

Chirping
Dec 10, 2023
Texas
Hi peepers experts! I've spent hours sorting the forums here and other online info sites trying to get some good information but I'm still feeling stuck. I have 3 sets of shipped eggs from different locations that were all the victims of USPS. 2 of them I set last evening after letting rest for 24 and about 8 hours respectively. This last batch is getting ready to set today and when I candle on arrival nearly all had air sacs either saddled or in the pointed end. Thinking the PO shipped the box upside-down. They now all seem to have settled back at the blunt end. My questions are, can I set them in on their sides now without issues? My machine is the type with the circular rotating egg turner. Do I leave it off and if so how long? Or are the ok now after 24 rest to set as normal?

Hello most people say to turn the egg turner off. I just hatched shipped duck eggs with damaged air cells and i had to cut out egg cartons and put the eggs in and leave them pointy end down because my air cell wouldn't re attach some peoples did re attach just leaving them pointy end down for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator but mine jiggled the whole way to the end so i left mine like that until i seen a pip

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_210814_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_210814_Gallery.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello most people say to turn the egg turner off. I just hatched shipped duck eggs with damaged air cells and i had to cut out egg cartons and put the eggs in and leave them pointy end down because my air cell wouldn't re attach some peoples did re attach just leaving them pointy end down for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator but mine jiggled the whole way to the end so i left mine like that until i seen a pip
I did put mine on their sides for the first day in the incubator because when candling them before putting them into the incubator it looked like the air cells had re attached but when i candled the next day the air cells where back to moving around again so i suppose you could just lay them on their side and candle them 24hrs later and see if the air cells look ok but i would keep the automatic turner off and just manually turn them just incase

Thank you. How did your hatch end up? I had low expectations going into this and bought an abundance of eggs in hopes that at least a few of each would make it. I just didn't think so many would be affected. Not the breeders fault at all they were packed well just way to much rough handling by the po unfortunately 😕

Thank you. How did your hatch end up? I had low expectations going into this and bought an abundance of eggs in hopes that at least a few of each would make it. I just didn't think so many would be affected. Not the breeders fault at all they were packed well just way to much rough handling by the po unfortunately 😕
So i had 5 fertile and 2 died before 28 days i think one was about day 21 and the other about day 25 but 3 made it to hatching one didn't make it because it started to get veins the whole way around where it should zip and it had pipped was doing really well and then i seen a little blood but it was too late the time i got in to the egg to see what was going on so i ended up with two but if it wasnt for the weird veins it would of been three which i didn't think was too bad considering how bad the air cells were. I left them in the egg cartons until i seen that they had externally pipped because i was too scared to lie them down again just incase but as soon as i seen they could get air in i knew it would be ok to lay them on their side. I know shipping is so hard on them it makes it alot harder for us

Hi
I’m not a expert , but just hatch 9 out off 12 shipped eggs with badly detachable and saddened air cells. Long story short I should get delivery next day by 1pm , I got it 3,5 day later, after 2 days of frost with my eggs stored in post van .
What I did is , rested eggs for 24h , placed eggs in upright incubator my borotto Lumia 16 ( you can do this in other types of incubators by using egg cartons) , switched off auto turner, incubated humidity to 55%-60% for first 2days , second day I let eggs turn 3 times ( morning, noon , evening, If you using eggs cartons to do this just place something on one side off carton to tilled and then change to other side, tilling eggs opposite direction) , day 3 switched auto turner on drop humidity to 50% , day 7 I dropped humidity to 45% till lock down. I got one clean egg , one quarter, one died in shell on the hatch day , and 9 perfect little chicken which are now 2 weeks old .

Hi
I’m not a expert , but just hatch 9 out off 12 shipped eggs with badly detachable and saddened air cells. Long story short I should get delivery next day by 1pm , I got it 3,5 day later, after 2 days of frost with my eggs stored in post van .
What I did is , rested eggs for 24h , placed eggs in upright incubator my borotto Lumia 16 ( you can do this in other types of incubators by using egg cartons) , switched off auto turner, incubated humidity to 55%-60% for first 2days , second day I let eggs turn 3 times ( morning, noon , evening, If you using eggs cartons to do this just place something on one side off carton to tilled and then change to other side tilling eggs opposite direction) , day 3 switched auto turner on drop humidity to 50% , day 7 I dropped humidity to 45% till lock down. I got one clean egg , one quarter, one died in shell on the hatch day , and 9 perfect little chicken which are now 2 weeks old .

Wow! You did great! Sounds like there's hope then. I decided to go ahead with the turner on and hoping for the best. I'll check them after 24 hrs then decide from there how to proceed depending on what I find. Fingers crossed 🤞

Back
Top Bottom