What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Hi, first time chicken owner, I’ve got 4 red sex link pullets, and 4 chicks.
Is there a chicken breed underground that I’m unaware of? Like the Free Masons of chickens??
Before I decided to get chickens, I read EVERYTHING I could about them. And yall chicken ppl blow my mind with ALL the breeds and knowledge about them. Not just in this community. I went to the feed store just to buy another feeder. Ol man comes over “oh you got some me chickens huh. Well you need some bebop’s and floofloos, and maybe cross you some yummytums and plickados”. At one point I don’t think he was speaking English anymore. “What kind of chickens you got”? I was dumbfounded I said “mine are red”. I felt so.. ignorant. Seriously where/how do y'all learn about all these breeds? And why is it important? I feel like I’m missing something here. I want to be in the chicken know!
Best thing I've read all day 🤣 I wanted a variety of colors for my first flock, so I chose a spotted one, a black one, some brown ones, a white one and a yellow one. It was only later that I learned what breeds I actually got. My best advice is just to hang out here and soak up all the stuff you can. You don't want to look at the genetic threads that much at first though, those will give you a heart attack. There are a lot of threads about specific breeds, which are super helpful if you want a lot of info fast. Although you often have to look through a lot of irrelevant chat, which we chicken people have a tendency to fill threads with. :p

You will learn, though, just give it time! Best of luck to you in your chicken adventures, with whatever flop-doodles and fluffy-puffs you end up with. :gig

Back
Top Bottom