Week old chicks-orange,brown and runny poop

linkedsilas

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
Durham,NC
You can see from the picture that the poop is runny one time they poop and the next it is totally normal.What do you think this is and what should I do? They are on medicated chick feed and water. They are active, alert, eating and drinking fine.Ive looked all over the internet and this site and havent quite found poop to match it with.Back story is theyre a week old. Got them on Sunday. From the picture you can see that the poop is watery and orange/brown. I dont think there is any blood in it

My 5 or 6 week old chicks have that kind of poop sometimes too. They seem really healthy, though, except the one who hurt her leg today. Maybe it's normal, like how human babies have really runny, funny colored poop sometimes...? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Im pretty sure they are OK. I am new to chicks and Ive see adult chickens have it. I guess I am a little over protective with these being my first. The one has a little pasty vent once in a while but nothing horrible.

Every 8 poops is a caecal poo, which is liquid.

However,

******for a week old chick I would be concerned seeing a large liquid poo like that and would closely monitor for signs of coccidiosis like lethargy, feathers fluffed up, cold, not eating or drinking.*************

Only two of the strains of cocci cause bloody poos. Diarrhea can be a sign.

For an older chick I wouldn't think anything of it. I personally would just watch and wait for now.

Last edited:
Like I said they appear normal acting and are on medicated food. I know that is not 100% fool proof ruling out that disease though. I know people say to use apple cider vinegar and rolled oats. I have crimped oats, I talked to a vet and she said that she thinks the rolled oats would expand too much for them right now in their system.

I did notice it is a little frothy.....I looked on that poop chart and just couldnt really find one to match it with.I think I might be overreacting. I think I might have some access to Corid...Does anyone think I should do this as a precaution?

I thought antibiotic feed was,for one thing,to PREVENT coccidiosis,not sure,I'm new to chickens,
maybe it addresses respiratory issues only.I always worry about cocciodiosis if I see runny poop with my chickens,
I have horses and coccidiosis is lethal to them if they get it frm chickens.
With people,often one gets diarrhea frm antibiotics,with some Abx more common than others,I always give probiotics when I admin Abx,
to my pets or people.It is hard to do with medicated chicken feed.
Why could'nt u guaic the stool as we do with humans to test it for blood?Im sure this can be done with cats n dogs.If u have a nice cost effective vet(sorry to say we dont have the latter out my way),
ask him to give u a guaic test + u can test the stool yourself,theyre cheap for humans...Looks like bloody stool to me but the colors may be off on my computer,hard to say...

I am seeing the EXACT same poop and am worried...two chicks have died so far but they were smaller and I was blaming it on the heat and probs hatching. Hoping I bump this and someone can tell us for sure. U have an update?

Back
Top Bottom