Wearing gloves for hand protection in order to tame a bird?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Is it okay to wear utility gloves when interacting with a wild cockatiel in order to spend time with it and tame it down? I recently got a cockatiel that was not handfed /hand-reared but it bites really deep and hard on my skin.

I had bought kevlar cut-resistant arm protection for holding my macaw parrots as their toenails dig into my skin.

If it comes down to you not being able to handle your cockatiel without gloves on, then I guess I'd sure wear them, but I'm imagining these big bulky utility gloves that might be scary looking to it, whereas they make kevlar gloves like my arm thingy that are thin but tough. I'd not spend a gob of money though because once you have it tame, you'll not need them again.

I had bought kevlar cut-resistant arm protection for holding my macaw parrots as their toenails dig into my skin.

If it comes down to you not being able to handle your cockatiel without gloves on, then I guess I'd sure wear them, but I'm imagining these big bulky utility gloves that might be scary looking to it, whereas they make kevlar gloves like my arm thingy that are thin but tough. I'd not spend a gob of money though because once you have it tame, you'll not need them again.
Genius! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom