Weak chick, won’t eat or drink, droopy wings....

chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
my local feed store got in a shipment of chicks. I know the owner and she told me that the shipping company lost the chicks, and so they arrived 24hrs late. Some had sadly died and some were very weak. I too two home that seemed fine. Then I noticed one of them wasn’t eat or drinking. Or really moving. She was unstable on her feet and he Corp was completely empty. The others was energetic with a full crop.

They gave me a replacement chick, but I kept the weak one to try and save her.

I was able to get some sugar water in her via syringe, and she gained a little strength. Still not eating or drinking on her own. I also gave her a little plain yogurt with spinach blended in it via syringe.

She seems a little stronger (I was shocked she made it trough the night). But still droopy wings and unstable. I’m starting to wonder if she’s blind? She doesn’t react to me hand in front of her face.

I have her separated from the other two in case she actually has a disease. But she won’t stop crying today.

I’m wondering if she would do better with some friends and comfort?

Any suggestions?

Can you get some poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell, and give a drop or two. Try dipping her beak into water for a second, let her swallow and repeat several times. Check her bottom for signs of stuck poo, and remove it under warm soapy water. How warm is the temperature in your booder?

Weak chicks may not make it due to shipping stress or a problem they were born with.

Can you get some poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell, and give a drop or two. Try dipping her beak into water for a second, let her swallow and repeat several times. Check her bottom for signs of stuck poo, and remove it under warm soapy water. How warm is the temperature in your booder?

Weak chicks may not make it due to shipping stress or a problem they were born with.
Brooder is 90/95. I’ve dipped her beak a few times. She just won’t initiate it on her own at all.

Keep trying to syringe her the sugar water, a drop at a time. It might be too late to save her though. The NutriDrench would be good for and for future use in a weak chicken. Pedialyte or room temperature gatorade may be substituted temporarily.

I agree with Eggcessive. Poultry Nutri drench is the way to go. If you are using a one quart waterer and it's full, add 1 tablespoon Poultry Nutri drench and stir well. Ensure the water is lukewarm. Then dip the chicks beak in the water to drink. Continue as necessary.

87E24DC4-E3E5-4E33-9E36-37D5989CEC16.jpeg

She seems to be getting a little stronger. I’ve had her 48hrs now and she still alive. This is her poop. But considering all she’s ingested is water, sugar water, Gatorade and a little bit of plain yogurt that I blended some spinach in, I would think this poop is expected? Maybe not.

I’m going to get NutriDrench now. I was able to track some down in my small town.

Skip the spinach. Just use chick feed, and wet it with water to make it runny if needed. She shouldn’t eat other foods until she is older. NutriDrench is very good, or Poultry Cell as well.

Skip the spinach. Just use chick feed, and wet it with water to make it runny if needed. She shouldn’t eat other foods until she is older. NutriDrench is very good, or Poultry Cell as well.
She won’t touch the chick feed. I tried it dry. I’ve tried it wet. I made a mushy, mash. I mixed it with the yogurt. I’ve tried holding it right in front of her. Giving it in syringe. She literally won’t touch it. And the small bowl with it in her box she just sleeps on. :(

Back
Top Bottom