watery turkey poo

mackak

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
We are new to keeping turkeys and have 2 that are about 2.5 months old. They have been living inside, not exposed to the outside yet. The other day I noticed that their poo is extremely watery. I thought they were spilling their water because the bedding would be so wet. Then I actually saw them poop mostly water with some solids in it. Is this normal? They also have poo that looks like chicken poo which I am assuming IS normal. They are healthy, bright eyed and active. Is there anything special I need to do for them?

I was also wondering if there is anything I can give them to protect them from blackhead? My chickens free range (I don't like cooping them up if can avoid it) I thought I could just put the turkeys out there with them until I read about blackhead disease. From everything I've read so far.......they will either get it or they won't depending on if my chickens have been infected. But in the past haven't they coexisted just fine??????

Are they still living inside with additional heat??? Don't worry unless the normal droppings disappear and nothing but runny stuff remains. They are drinking quite a bit is all.

Only prevention for HG/HM: Keep runs dry and clean/keep turks separate from chooks/regular worming schedule (chooks and turks) with Fenbendazole (not the only choice but gets all `worms'): http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_Sheets/rx_fenbendazole.pdf

However, check with your DNR/Extension office, etc. to determine the incidence/prevalence of Histomoniasis in your area. Many of us run chooks with turks without the appearance of this disease.

Last edited:
I run my turkey and chicken together, so did my gpa and his dad etc etc. Keeping things clean and keeping birds healthy as ivan3 noted is what I do. I use safeguard liwuid goat wormer which is fenbendazole with great results. I use probiotics and vitamins and ACV in their water. Good healthy food and have never had a problem. When it is hot my turkey drink tons of water and have extremely runny poo so I add electrolytes to the water so they dont get dehydrated. As long as they are acting normal , not discoloration to the poo, still eating and active it is perfectly normal..

Back
Top Bottom