Washington County Maryland laws

tytia

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2017
Maryland
Is Anyone in Washington County Md? I'm moving to Smithsburg and I'm having trouble finding laws about chickens and Roosters. I need to make sure we will be allowed to keep the Rooster ( if it is actually a rooster)? I see a lot people with chickens but I never have heard any roosters so I'm not sure. I don't want to get attached if I won't be legally allowed to keep him.

"The Smithsburg Town Council Tuesday night voted in favor of allowing residents to raise backyard chickens.

After months of discussion and input from residents for and against the proposal, the five-member council voted 3-2 to change its zoning ordinance and permit residents to raise up to five hens."

"
Under the new ordinance, free-range chickens and roosters are prohibited, as is the outdoor slaughtering of hens.

The pen housing the chickens must be fully enclosed and shall not exceed 96 square feet. The enclosed structure as well as the outdoor enclosure must be kept in sanitary condition and free from offensive odors.

Chickens must have access to clean water at all times.

In addition, property owners must take measures to reduce the attraction of potential scavengers, insects and parasites that are harmful to humans.

A building permit and zoning permit must be obtained for the construction of the outdoor chicken coop.

Residents must receive a special exception form the town's Board of Zoning Appeals to raise chickens. The chicken coops are subject to periodic inspections by the town."

Ok thanks a bunch! I'll have to call animal control and double check with them. I have 18 acres so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep that RIR if he's a rooster

Back
Top Bottom