Sisters chickens

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2018
Oklahoma
Hey y’all!!! I’m wanting to start my own small chicken business selling eggs and breeding them as well. I want to start out with 15-20 chicken ( I don’t know if that’s to many) I’m also thinking of using golden comets for max egg production and wanting to use fodder for my feed. As for my coop I want it to be as low of cost as I can with it being protective enough from all the critters out here. Please wright back with yalls opinion and advice. (Especially advice on making sure all the eggs will sell.)

Hey y’all!!! I’m wanting to start my own small chicken business selling eggs and breeding them as well. I want to start out with 15-20 chicken ( I don’t know if that’s to many) I’m also thinking of using golden comets for max egg production and wanting to use fodder for my feed. As for my coop I want it to be as low of cost as I can with it being protective enough from all the critters out here. Please wright back with yalls opinion and advice. (Especially advice on making sure all the eggs will sell.)
It is better to start small!

Welcome Cool.gif

Golden comets are a hybrid and do not breed true. The parent stock of true golden comets are a patented secret.

You could breed your own red sex links but there is no guarantee that they would lay as well as commercial breeds

:woot:welcome
This is how I built my pens. It is 12x12x 8 feet high. The panels are 4' high and the netting takes it up to 8'. The total pen cost me around $300. This is how to build one panel that is 12' long. Here are some links for netting and fencing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I9XJRE4/ref=twister_B01I9XJRG2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Openings-Hot..._rd_wg=fYL34&refRID=544TEDWF9J309C9SV9SZ&th=1

Welcome , please don’t get hybrids, they lay like crazy but have such a short life, by the end of 16-18 months they’re skin and bones.

Also planning to make a living while building the cheapest coop possible is not a well thought out business plan .Build the coop with the best material you can afford and you build it once , cheap out and use chicken wire for instance and you build it twice!!

Research, research , research

It is better to start small!

View attachment 1476897

Golden comets are a hybrid and do not breed true. The parent stock of true golden comets are a patented secret.

You could breed your own red sex links but there is no guarantee that they would lay as well as commercial breeds

Do you know of a breed that will have high egg production and breed well?

Do you know of a breed that will have high egg production and breed well?
Australorps are a good choice. as well as Rocks. Partridge rocks are a good choice because they are available from hatcheries, lay well even in the winter and are a bit lighter than Barred rocks. Silver Penciled rocks are a good choice but not as available from hatcheries.

They are pure breeds and not hybrids

Hiya Sisters! Have you raised chickens before? What sort of property do you have? That can make a huge difference in your housing (cooping?) options.

My first coop was repurposed from my mom's garden fence and a dog house. That was 20 years ago. I've built a number of coops since then and they're all different. Main thing is sturdy, with a good door, a house with well done boxes, surrounded top and sides and part of it roofed.

Back
Top Bottom