Walk me through de-spurring?

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
OK, I know there is a method that uses a potato (we don't have a potato) and then there's one where you soak the birds feet... but I really have never done this before, and Thor is tripping on his spurs, so it's time for those sabers to go! What does one use for the actual de-spurring? And how does one take them off? Thanks!

OK, I know there is a method that uses a potato (we don't have a potato) and then there's one where you soak the birds feet... but I really have never done this before, and Thor is tripping on his spurs, so it's time for those sabers to go! What does one use for the actual de-spurring? And how does one take them off? Thanks!

Very simple, using a plier, grasp the spur about 1/2 inch from the leg. Give it a sharp, quick twist and the outer sheath will seperate from the inner spur, which is similar to the quick of a nail. The sheath will then slide right off and leave the root, which is shaped the same, but smaller. In a few days the root will harden and become the new spur, but smaller than the original.
The spur can also be sawed off with a hacksaw, but the easiest way to saw off a spur is with a Dremmel Tool and cut off wheel. Have someone hold the cock and cut the spur 3/8 or 1/2 inch from the leg. Usually it doesn't bleed, but a little baking flour from your kitchen and spme pressure for a few seconds will stop bleeding, if needed............Pop

I use the latter that POP said. I use a hack saw to cut them off about a 1/2 inch from his leg. Luckily I am strong enough to grab him by his feet and cross his legs to achieve this method. The roo is a White Rock and probably pushing 10 pounds. Anyway after the spur is cut off I use bar soap on the end of the spur and it stops bleeding instantly. Just rub the bar on the cut area. To do both spurs takes 5 minutes.

Thanks for the advice... I did it! There was some minimal bleeding (used pliers on one leg and the hacksaw method on the other, just to see which one I liked best) but he is fine now.
smile.png

I liked the sawing off way better, it was easier on my tendinitis- ridden wrists than twisting.

Did you try the bar of soap trick? Way easier than the flour, learned that trick from a friend of my from Ireland who now resides in the US. You know back in the old country story but works terrific.

OK. I despured one roo and I have 3 more to do. How do you get the bar of soap on them? That is a new one on me. I tried the flour method and was not impressed. Wouldn't stop bleeding. So I had to put a pressure bandage on him until the next morning.

OK. I despured one roo and I have 3 more to do. How do you get the bar of soap on them? That is a new one on me. I tried the flour method and was not impressed. Wouldn't stop bleeding. So I had to put a pressure bandage on him until the next morning.
Hmmm, still haven't tried the soap, but if I was gonna do it, I would rub the soap all over the end of the stub, maybe even jamb the stub into the bar. I've had cocks that bled, but seldom anything bad. One thing I do when dubbing is give the stag a vitamin K tablet about a half hour before. That thickens the blood and slows down the bleeding. Might help when trimming spurs.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom