Virginia

English Orpington, by any chance?
Hmm... I guess I don’t know how to answer. I thought all Orpingtons were considered English. I purchased them as Lavender Orpingtons. I did not see the parents but I believe they are true breeds. These little guys are only 8 weeks old so just coming into their beautiful feathers. Let me know if you are interested I can post/send more pics!

Ah! English Orps are somewhat larger than American. I didn't know the difference either until someone pointed it out.

There is a thread ... I'm not sure how to do a link, but the title is:
The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread
You can find it by searching for it. It's about 2300 posts, so there's a LOT of reading!

Ah! English Orps are somewhat larger than American. I didn't know the difference either until someone pointed it out.

There is a thread ... I'm not sure how to do a link, but the title is:
The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread
You can find it by searching for it. It's about 2300 posts, so there's a LOT of reading!
Thank you for imparting the chicken knowledge!! I have learned something new today! I do believe that these are likely American Orpingtons then. :)

Is there a turkey breeder or hatchery in VA that has both heritage and commercial varieties? I am finding farms that offer one or the other.

Valley of the Moon has Whites. Plain View Poultry -super close to me!- and Piedmont Heritage Poultry -also nearby- have Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms. Anyone in VA have both? I could get all three varieties from Cackle Hatchery but have read here it is a drop-ship hatchery and perhaps not the chain of custody I wish to support.

I'd like some DBW for my first attempt at raising my own Thanksgiving dinners. It sounds like their carcass will be most similar to what I am used to, thus a better transition to raising my own food.

I'd also like some heritage varieties for more sustainable birds. It sounds like getting poults all at the same time increases their survivability. Or is mixing DB and heritage varieties a bad idea?

Fort Valley, Virginia beautiful Shenandoah County. Working and building my Silkie flock. We have Silkie Blue Egg layers, blue, Black, Splash, Red Pyle, Buff, Red, Paint, Partridge Showgirl/ Naked Neck Silkies, Frizzle and Satins.

I'm not sure if this is the right place. I need to re-home a few cockerels in a few weeks. I'm in Fauquier County and have 9 chicks in the brooder. We incubated them from our flock. We only have Buff Orpington hens and a Buff Orpington rooster. Since we have a young rooster, we don't have a big enough flock to support multiples. If genetics matter, the daddy is an extremely well behaved rooster. He's great to the hens, a very watchful protector, and very docile with my wife, kids, and I. The chicks are only 3 weeks old, so I need a few weeks to be sure, but at least 3 are looking like roosters. They are being hand raised as well.

Attachments

• 20210213_131044.jpg
    20210213_131044.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 6
  • JPEG_20210216_182043_8870064275066677644.jpg
    JPEG_20210216_182043_8870064275066677644.jpg
    915.2 KB · Views: 5
Hey Virginia chicken owners! I am researching coop location and design for my coop. I am new to owning chickens. I have identified where to purchase them and breeds (Heritage RI Red, Olive Egger, Barred Rock). But I need to get my coop designed. Been researching and see recommendations for South facing openings and windows, vents East to West. I am in Central VA, can have 6 hens, 20sq ft coop max and 40 sq ft max run. I have not yet determined wind direction of my own yard as some suggest. But my concern is of course winters and our HOT AND HUMID summers here!!! I would like to hear from other VA chicken owners on coop design location for the summers here. Considering the heat and the winters, where should the nest boxes be? Window locations? Vent locations? I have no trees in MY back yard (removed 2 large oaks this year), HOWEVER, the adjacent lots have lots of trees that provide shade on my yard. We have pretty moist area, no standing water in yard ever, but it is mossy where the trees used to be. This will be our first full summer without the trees. I have been studying the light in the yard and as much as I can tell there was still a fair amount of shade from neighboring trees after the removal of our trees. Thoughts from the more experienced? TIA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom