Eight-Spotted Forester Moth, Safe for Chickens?

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
There are an abundance of eight-spotted forester caterpillars on virginia creepers around here and I was wondering if they would be safe for my chickens to eat.

All the caterpillars eat are grapevines and virginia creepers so I can't see how they could be dangerous, but I have not found much in the direction of toxicity of the moths/caterpillars.

I attached a picture of the caterpillar and the moth of the species.

Attachments

• alypia-octomaculata-gary-spicer-2_0.jpg
    alypia-octomaculata-gary-spicer-2_0.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 1200px--_9314_–_Alypia_octomaculata_–_Eight-spotted_Forester_Moth_(47990267816).jpg
    1200px--_9314_–_Alypia_octomaculata_–_Eight-spotted_Forester_Moth_(47990267816).jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 1
There are an abundance of eight-spotted forester caterpillars on virginia creepers around here and I was wondering if they would be safe for my chickens to eat.

All the caterpillars eat are grapevines and virginia creepers so I can't see how they could be dangerous, but I have not found much in the direction of toxicity of the moths/caterpillars.

I attached a picture of the caterpillar and the moth of the species.

There is no research on these carterpillars and chickens specifically that I can find.

I will therefore offer three opinions which are largely true.

One) the eight spotted forest caterpillar is routinely preyed on by a number of bird species, therefore its propably not highly toxic to everything and avians specifically. Also mice and squirrels will eat the pupae.

Two) it has been my experience that chickens generally will not eat significant quantities of things which are immediately harmful to them unless they have no other choice. If your chicken eat them, don't panic.

Three) Chickens don't like change - so if you provide some and your chickens DON'T eat them, that's not necessarily indication that they are toxic, or even that they merely taste bad.

and finally, whatever you decide, be sure to provide ample quantity of a nutritiounally balanced feed and fresh clean water. Anything not part of a nutritionally balanced diet should be considered "treat" and offered only intermittently and in moderation.

There is no research on these carterpillars and chickens specifically that I can find.

I will therefore offer three opinions which are largely true.

One) the eight spotted forest caterpillar is routinely preyed on by a number of bird species, therefore its propably not highly toxic to everything and avians specifically. Also mice and squirrels will eat the pupae.

Two) it has been my experience that chickens generally will not eat significant quantities of things which are immediately harmful to them unless they have no other choice. If your chicken eat them, don't panic.

Three) Chickens don't like change - so if you provide some and your chickens DON'T eat them, that's not necessarily indication that they are toxic, or even that they merely taste bad.

and finally, whatever you decide, be sure to provide ample quantity of a nutritiounally balanced feed and fresh clean water. Anything not part of a nutritionally balanced diet should be considered "treat" and offered only intermittently and in moderation.
Thank you, I have fed some to the chickens after seeing multiple things prey upon them. If anything, the caterpillars are a protein boost for the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom