Very Ill Wood Duckling -- Read and Help!

Monday-- Should it be taken to Wildlife Rehab?

• Yes. They're equipped to handle sick ducklings.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No. It's a death sentence. Make it comfortable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Helanaii

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Any help from EXPERIENCED care takers?

Unfortunately while I was working in the dining room- My cat brought me a baby wood duck. I looked it over, and from what I could see it was unharmed. Cold and scared, but fine.

Right now I'm afraid it might have URI--

What sort of Electrolytes would you recommend me to pump into it, any sort of antibiotic I can still snag from the vet?

---

I searched for two days for mama duck and never heard or found her. I had contacted the rehab center and had a date set to bring it. Unfortunately the two days passed and it was suddenly near death and in no condition to be driven an hour out.

Symptoms:
Lameness in both legs
Feet curled
Runny nose
Weakness; could barely lift head.
Unable to eat on own
Unable to drink on own
Mint green droppings
Occasional bubbly noise with breathing.

Yikes what a list.
Why haven't I brought it to Rehab?
This duckling would most likely be euthanized, and I can still see some good fight in it. (I asked.)

Keep in mind as a Wood Duck there are special requirements, and are not the same as my domestic duck.

What I've done;
Worked around the clock to feed and water it every half hour/hour.
Make sure it's clean
Provided heat lamp and seperated compionship with my chicks.

I an experienced in many game birds, but I got my first waterfowl last month. They're very different and complicated.

For the weakest day I've fed it boiled egg, water, and corn syrup added to the water for the boost.
Two days of this and every night I figured it would die. It would get a little bit of energy the second half of the day, just enough to look around. It's a strong little dude.

Now at three days and it's eating dried mealworms and Duck raiser crumble.
Green droppings are brown and it is pooping regularly. Aka a lot. ((YAY!))
However the runny nose seems to be getting worse and having never had ducks---
I don't quite know how to fix the lameness.

I planned on picking up pure Niacin from Walmart incase it wasn't getting enough but I thought it took a while for lameness to set in?

I gave it a 5 minute bath to help strengthen the legs and immediately dried and heat lamped it to keep from getting any more ill.

It's getting stronger and today started to drink out of the lid by itself and ate some crumble on the ground. Great signs if it was just weak.

But with the illness---

Due to it being a wild animal I am unable to bring it to a vet. If I take it to rehab it still runs the risk of being Euthanized if it's an URI.

I need help.

It's illegal to interfere with Migratory Waterfowl and the fines are huge actually. Rehab is there to help and definitely make the right decisions. I rescued a Runner Duckling along with a Green Teal Duckling and called Rehad as soon as I seen what was brought to me...Teal went to rehab and my friend still has the Runner.

I would take it to rehab. As @chickens really said it’s better to be dead if the duck is in a lot of pain. But, you could try to help it. But there is stuff you just can’t do by yourself. I just recently found a puppy mill. And I called the police and they arrested the people. My point being, sometimes with situations like this you need help. And experts are in the rehab job, if they think they need to kill it it’s for the best. If they think it has a chance and is not in a lot of pain they will probably take care of it.
Just know that if anything bad happens, people are here for you :hugs

I would take it to rehab. As @chickens really said it’s better to be dead if the duck is in a lot of pain. But, you could try to help it. But there is stuff you just can’t do by yourself. I just recently found a puppy mill. And I called the police and they arrested the people. My point being, sometimes with situations like this you need help. And experts are in the rehab job, if they think they need to kill it it’s for the best. If they think it has a chance and is not in a lot of pain they will probably take care of it.
Definitely they don't kill anything that's got a chance to survive..

I'm aware that it's illegal and I'm aware with the risks it carries to have wildlife.
Right now the Rehab center I spoke with Wed. is allowing me to hold it until we can get there next week- But I need help to get it as healthy as possible for then to give it the best chance at survival. The closest centers are an hour/two hours away and they're open and close while I work. The earliest I can get there is Monday.

I'll give them a call and update them on the duckling and see what they want to do with it.

Edit:: I figured with as ill as the duck is I might not even bother taking it in. Just make it as comfortable as I can possibly do, try my best, and count my losses.

It's illegal to interfere with Migratory Waterfowl and the fines are huge actually. Rehab is there to help and definitely make the right decisions. I rescued a Runner Duckling along with a Green Teal Duckling and called Rehad as soon as I seen what was brought to me...Teal went to rehab and my friend still has the Runner.
Well, I don't think that the "government" always makes the best decisons about ANYTHING and that goes for Canada as well as the USA!

Back
Top Bottom