Very hot weather, eggs have pips

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi! Its day 19 of our eggs under a broody serama. Most of the eggs have pips :). But, the mother didn't eat or drink today (perhaps because of the chicks starting to hatch she went quickly back to the nest after pooping) and I am worried because the weather is pretty hot today. I offered her some boiled eggs and sweet corn, but she only growling and isn't eating. What to do?? Thank you!

Hi! Its day 19 of our eggs under a broody serama. Most of the eggs have pips :). But, the mother didn't eat or drink today (perhaps because of the chicks starting to hatch she went quickly back to the nest after pooping) and I am worried because the weather is pretty hot today. I offered her some boiled eggs and sweet corn, but she only growling and isn't eating. What to do?? Thank you!
Let her sit, she'll move again eventually.

Just leave her be, she knows what is necessary right now.
I would not bother or interrupt her unnecessarily at this time.
She needs quiet and peace to finish her task.
In fact, all I do with my broodys is provide fresh water and food in the outer broody pen. No mater how tempted I am to look, I don't until day 24 or so to remove inhatched eggs.
And even then, it's usually after dark with a flashlight so I dont get her to upset.

Just leave her be, she knows what is necessary right now.
I would not bother or interrupt her unnecessarily at this time.
She needs quiet and peace to finish her task.
In fact, all I do with my broodys is provide fresh water and food in the outer broody pen. No mater how tempted I am to look, I don't until day 24 or so to remove inhatched eggs.
And even then, it's usually after dark with a flashlight so I dont get her to upset.

Thank you! But I am really worried about her health because of the hot weather, she must drink at least. Can I give her something next to the nest?

Thank you, she is staying with the chirping eggs now and she isnt interested in moving again, I guess only after her eggs hatch. In the meantime she hasn't eaten/drunk since her break yesterday
Does she like watermelon? Could try to give her some if she does.

Also, how hot is it exactly where you are?

Thank you! But I am really worried about her health because of the hot weather, she must drink at least. Can I give her something next to the nest?
I usually set my broody up in a special brooder room just for a mama & eggs. I set up a wooden box & mama will sit on the eggs all cushy with wood chips. I have moved a small waterer right to the edge of the nest egg box for her & I have put mealworms there as well. She did drink & eat but she did a long neck stretch to do it...she would not move off of her eggs at all once pipping began. I don't know if you have other chickens right there, but if so, a small waterer may be possible, but food or mealworms will only draw the other chickens, which may tick mama off. Maybe a small piece of a watermelon? You may need to walk away, too. Most hens take their broody jobs very seriously. ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom