Cropping and Dubbing in 4-H

I wish rules could change and instead of dubbing and cropping, the standards for gamefowl breeds would be switched to them having to possess small combs, wattles and earlobes that fit the size of what a dubbed and cropped bird would have, but have it all be natural. That way no dubbing and cropping would be needed. Just breeding and simple genetics.
They dubb the birds because they where used for cock fighting, dubbing was used to keep the rooster from getting his comb, earlobes, or wattles ripped off to keep from infection. Know we dubb to show because that is what people like, it looks more clean.
I do dubb sometime (but its everyones choice if they want to dubb or not, and i can see both ways) if my rooster get frost bite, i dubb. And I dubbed my fawn OEGB so i could show him. I will tell you its a quick couple of snips and the roosters hardly flintch, they are just fine after too. I do under stand your point, it would be better if undubbed birds wouldnt be disqualification.

They dubb the birds because they where used for cock fighting, dubbing was used to keep the rooster from getting his comb, earlobes, or wattles ripped off to keep from infection. Know we dubb to show because that is what people like, it looks more clean.
I do dubb sometime (but its everyones choice if they want to dubb or not, and i can see both ways) if my rooster get frost bite, i dubb. And I dubbed my fawn OEGB so i could show him. I will tell you its a quick couple of snips and the roosters hardly flintch, they are just fine after too. I do under stand your point, it would be better if undubbed birds wouldnt be disqualification.
I agree with you. I’m okay with dubbing, and undubbed Gamefowl look odd to me because it’s not what I an used to!
But cockfighting ended a long time ago and if they just did away with it and standardized decent looking single combs instead of the ones they currently have which look odd, I think it would be best and have many more people in the gamefowl hobby. As a surgical procedure, no worse than circumcision, the only issue is if people mess it up then they could harm the bird. Since I don’t like performing surgical procedures, I wouldn’t be able to do it.
A bit sad since I have always liked Modern Games.
It seems especially odd when only three breeds have any procedures done to them when it would be considered faking to alter a bird of any other breed.

I would love to show, and even though I would most likely not have the space or time for breeding chickens, I want to ask a question. Is it required to crop and dub gamefowl in 4-H as it is with other chicken shows? If I ever showed, I would want to show gamefowl because I love them and they are unique, but I am never abusing animals in any way, so if I was required to crop and dub gamefowl that would be an immediate no. I am just curious as to what the rules on gamefowl are at 4-H.
Depends on the club and the fair. Mine didn't have the requirement, but the birds that didn't have it done generally didn't place as well as the ones that did

I know the history of dubbing and cropping. I don't see the point in carrying down the tradition of fighting, especially when it is illegal, but I am not looking to argue here.

I agree with you. I’m okay with dubbing, and undubbed Gamefowl look odd to me because it’s not what I an used to!
I don't understand why no one else has thought about simply breeding them to have small, flat combs. It is not impossible, definitely not hard at all. Humans are just lazy, I guess.

Oriental Gamefowl do not require dubbing, as mentioned before. Since you look to be interested in mostly bantam Gamefowl breeds, what about Ko Shamo
That would work well if they do not require dubbing and cropping! Bantams are always a better choice to me because they take up less space and less overall items (like food and water).

Back
Top Bottom