Using Mulch for Run

TheChickenProject

Chirping
13 Years
May 20, 2010
Does anyone use mulch in thier run?
I understand the use of sand and hay for drainage but I have access to free shredded mulch through the township. Would the mulch be too hard on thier feet or not drain enough water?
Reading other posts, I wonder if sand is easier to clean than changing out the mulch every week. The run is only 4x8 so the effort of changing mulch is not that much.

If its free and your willing to do the work shoveling it, go for it. Sand is in the long run the very best thing IMO. Mulch may soak up water - depending on what type of wood it is and how its chopped. But I have used finely shredded mulch in the bottom of the coop as part of a deep litter method before - and it works great - but you have to keep it turned often and everything, cause it retains heat and if not turned and kept good oxydation (sp) it can combust and catch fire - i've seen that happen before in a mulch pile!!!
hmm.png

Anyway - as long as you keep i turned (which chickens will do that in a run for you) and its free : go for it.
big_smile.png

I use mulch in my run and it has worked just fine. The chickens do the work of turning it by scratching around all day long so it never smells and I never have to do any work. The bags I got were labeled "large pine nuggets" and I got them from Lowe's. We actually built our coop and run under our deck, so not a lot of rain gets in, but it soaks up pretty quick and there aren't puddles. We did use quite a few bags and it has been great for us.

I had access to free mulch as well. I put it in my chicken coop and it semms fine for the chickens. They accutually really enjoy digging around in it. Just make sure it is about 4-5 inches thick. My 4 hens really enjoy it!
big_smile.png

another freebie that the chickens love is grass clippings. we have a pull behind lawn sweeper that can be pulled by a lawn mower or four wheeler and everytime we mow the grass we line the bottom of the run with it and the chickens go crazy eating the bugs and fresh grass and it makes awesome bedding. we use the deep litter method

I have been looking for a way to get bugs into my chicken coop. I was kinda digging around in the yard and found that a big pile of weed and grass cuttings that are decomposing had a bunch of bugs in it. I tried to catch some of the bugs but that didn't work. I decided to just shovel some of the decomposing grass cuttings into a bucket and dump it in the coop. My little chickens loved it! They got to scratch for bugs. I think I am gonna give them a shovel full every day.

I tried it, but didn't like it as well as I like sand. If you have access to free mulch, and you won't mind having to change it out if it gets all wet and stinky, I'd say go for it.

Do you know the composition of the mulch? I'm sure it wouldn't be from pressure treated wood; that's the only thing I know of to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom