!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

Pics
@hannnnnah - I hope this discussion has not overwhelmed you. You thread is like a finger in an open wound. Sooner or later every poultry owner seems to have been in your shoes. Stay strong and proceed in the way you think is best for you.
:goodpost:That! Every chicken owner I know has had that problem. As do I, being quite literally surrounded by irresponsible neighbors with dogs. One was particularly a problem. We called the sherrif, and apparently they went and talked to them, and they kept them in after that. But it is so frustrating and, well, enrageing.

I'm so sorry for you and your ducks, a guy who lives quite far away breeds black labradors 2 dogs travelled miles 2 get my neighbours 6 hens, thankfully they didn't hear my goose ducks peafowl and 20 chickens close by. Now my next door neighbour is thinking of getting a golden retriever and it's scary just to think of that, so I'm very sorry for your loss @hannnnnah

I'm so sorry for you and your ducks, a guy who lives quite far away breeds black labradors 2 dogs travelled miles 2 get my neighbours 6 hens, thankfully they didn't hear my goose ducks peafowl and 20 chickens close by. Now my next door neighbour is thinking of getting a golden retriever and it's scary just to think of that, so I'm very sorry for your loss @hannnnnah
Our new neighbors attempted to raise chickens the same year I got mine .Theirs flew over the 4 ft fence around their coop and ran all over the neighborhood pissing our neighbors off(he rarely if ever fed them) They only had a metal coop to roost and lay in and it didn't have a door .Many were killed at nigh in the coop sadly (I could hear them from across the street)Their own 4 dogs were killing chickens too so his flock dwindled from 30-40 to 3 or 4 in 2- 3 yrs. I still have their last chicken after rescuing her from the roof of a house after their dogs chased her up there .We also ended up rescuing their dogs after they moved away and abandoned them.

Building fort knox cops and fences is the only way to protect birds .All dogs have a prey drive even the poodles we rescued across the street

There's that saying »good fences make good neighbors« - but you also need to talk to your neighbor (the one who wants to get a golden retriever) and ask them to be responsible with their new dog.
As for the black labrador "breeder" - that sounds like a puppy-mill and should be reported. If a dog is 2 miles away from its home its a feral dog and all rules for feral dogs should be applied.

Our new neighbors attempted to raise chickens the same year I got mine .Theirs flew over the 4 ft fence around their coop and ran all over the neighborhood pissing our neighbors off(he rarely if ever fed them) They only had a metal coop to roost and lay in and it didn't have a door .Many were killed at nigh in the coop sadly (I could hear them from across the street)Their own 4 dogs were killing chickens too so his flock dwindled from 30-40 to 3 or 4 in 2- 3 yrs. I still have their last chicken after rescuing her from the roof of a house after their dogs chased her up there .We also ended up rescuing their dogs after they moved away and abandoned them.
Just irresponsible people. I bet they also trashed their house before selling it…

If the space available don't allow this, My advice for everybody: Never shoot a dog

Dogs are family for their owners. Is "the children" of somebody. Hitting a child will start a war and is a lose-lose situation.

Instead, study traps. Or trow the dog (non toxic) paint bombs, or put a bait that will cause the dog explosive diarrhea, or do something that will be very annoying for the owner, but not irreversible.

If each time a dog visits you it will mean a 100 dollars bill visit to the vet or the control animal headquarters, the owners will pick the idea really fast.
Why didn't I think of that? YOU HEAR THIS?? TURN YOUR NEIGBOR'S HOUSE PURPLE!!

Building fort knox cops and fences is the only way to protect birds .All dogs have a prey drive even the poodles we rescued across the street
Building Fort Knox comes at high cost and not everyone has that money laying around in a drawer...
Imho it is better to address the problem at its root, meaning the dog-owner.

Back
Top Bottom