UPDATE. HELP. HAWK. Hawk just wounded another chic ken.What killed my favorite girl?

Sublight

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Pensacola, FL
I moved this thread to this link. Please follow there if you dont mind. This is in the wrong place.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...my-favorite-girl.1220862/page-2#post-19538667

UPDATE: I just heard my chickens freaking out and a hawk wounded my second and last silkie. She was bleeding real bad, but i have stopped the bleeding. She is in a box surrounded by a towel, trying to keep her warm/comfortable. I think she is wounded near her craw. Do i try to find out more about the wound or let her be? Should i give her sugar water? I need suggestions. This one is Gandy, i have writen about her on here in the past, its my wifes favorite.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I opened the chicken pen about 45 minutes before dawn this morning because i was going to my dads house to build a cane mill.

I came home this evening to find my favorite silky DeDe dead in the run. Her breast was eaten, and her eye was eaten.Any idea what could have done this? Coon, or possum are my thoughts. My son saw a osprey watching the pen this evening, but i dont this was done by a hawk. When i picked up the body, the intestines were hanging out, whatever ate her did it inside the run.

20180209_192551.jpg

Last edited:
I lost my favorite girl to a hawk, that was pretty much the condition I found her in. So sorry for your loss

If it was in the run and the run is uncovered, I would say a hawk. If it was inside a covered area, likely a skunk or some other small predator that was not capable of carrying it away.
I've had numerous opposums around here. They never attacked a bird. Of course they don't have a lot of time to spend in the pen if they do find their way in, my dog sniffs them out in no time. But the ones that do get in the pen seem to go for the easy stuff like eggs and feed.

Back
Top Bottom