UK winter - how old do Coturnix quail chicks need to be before they're outside?

NingwoodHill

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
We hatched 6 quail in mid-December and they've come on very well already inside, with extra light and lots of food.

They're now getting to the point where I want to get them outside. They will be going into an insulated Omlet hutch, with straw bedding, overnight, with an outside run for the day.

Temperatures are varying a fair bit at the moment - we've had a few days of only 0-2 deg C in the day and -4 at night, but it's currently 7 Deg C outside at 0900hrs.

We've had quail for a couple of years and the baker's dozen out there now are OK, but spending a lot of time in their houses and we only have 1 out of six hens laying at the moment (it's mid-winter, I'm OK with that, as they all look to be in fine fettle)

This was a couple of the chicks four days ago. Feathers seem to be coming on very quickly at the moment.

Any guidance on how old they should be before they are turned out would be great, thanks!

ErFrN3YVEAEvZTT.jpg

Cheers - heat has been off since week 3.

I might put them out in the day for the first week and see how we get on.

I hatched 17 right before Thanksgiving. Would never have done them this late in the year living in the Southern Tier of NY but the eggs were replacement eggs from a bad shipping from the summer and they finally sent them to me. Anyway I had them outside at 4 weeks with a heat lamp. Its been cold (enough to freeze the water) but they've been fine. Now I've spoiled them as they're the only pen with the lamp on. I'm working them off it but turn it on over night. I typically find them with their legs sprawled out like they're at the beach each morning but that's coming to an end. They're laying eggs so it's time.:)

I would maybe tarp, or put hay bales along one side of the run... just to block wind.

Other than that, I would put put them out during the day... if they look cold come evening, bring them in for the night.

Put them out yesterday morning, so they've overnighted, in the run, which is next to our older flock of quail.

They seem pretty happy - lots of running around, particularly through the length of duct in the run.

Currently sitting in the doorway to the house, I think dustbathing in some fresh bedding

IMG_20210115_102303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom