Turkeys???

As r2elk stated, you only need to worry about housing with chickens if blackhead is present in your area. Do some research. I have turkeys ducks and chickens all together. They free range together all day but are put to bed in separate locations. Haven't really had problems except losing a couple young roosters that want to fight with a group of jakes or toms. I highly recommend turkeys. Best backyard critter anyone could have :) but I'm super biased lol. All my turkeys are very friendly, affectionate and entertaining.

Just need to spend time with them!
20180706_101424.jpg

Turkeys are awesome! I love mine.! For starters, if you have never had them buy older poults
.... Around the 12 week mark. At that age, they have a higher chance of making it. For turkeys to be such a hardy bird, they are so fragile when they are young. They are hard to incubate, but worth it. We never had an issue with blackhead until we brought home some chicks from a local auction. It killed 6 out of 7 of my poults. I was so pissed at myself for being careless.Blackhead is caused by a protozoa living in cecal worms. Chickens tend to be silent carries. Turkeys over the age of 12 weeks seems to fight if off better. So a couple of weeks later, new poults and a new area for our turkeys, we are much happier. We have 15 turkey eggs in the incubator right now. Yay!! I hope this doesn't discourage you. Turkeys are finicky at first, but before long they'll be following you around the yard especially when they hear you brought snacks.

Attachments

• PicsArt_06-26-07.13.32.jpg
    PicsArt_06-26-07.13.32.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom