Turkeys???

Mayducks12345

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
Hello!
I've been thinking about getting turkeys, just as another pet for the backyard! But I was wondering if they are nice??? Or need to be kept in pairs and If they get along with ducks/chickens?? Feedback would be wonderful!!

I know you can’t keep them with or near chickens. Blackhead is a virus common in chickens. It doesn’t affect them, but it’s almost positive to kill a turkey. It’s all I know.

08EBB6A1-0F69-483F-B13D-22C95BB95CC2.png Ive raised turkeys for a few years now and have 2 of my own as pets. Yes they are definitely better in pairs, they feel safer in a flock. I suggest getting them when they’re poults and hand raising them. That’s what I did with my Red Bourbobs and they are the friendliest turkeys on the planet. My Tom doesn’t flock, peck, or anything as well as my female. Mine did get along with chickens (not sure about ducks) but I always kept them separate for health reasons. Hope this helps! :)

Hand raised poults are good suggestion. They will be very friendly (actually the biggest problem is they will try to follow you every where and participate in everything you are doing). I've acquired some as adults, they are friendly too...just stand-offish. Mine have always got along well with chickens and other pets.
Zeus&turkeys.jpg

View attachment 1380173 Ive raised turkeys for a few years now and have 2 of my own as pets. Yes they are definitely better in pairs, they feel safer in a flock. I suggest getting them when they’re poults and hand raising them. That’s what I did with my Red Bourbobs and they are the friendliest turkeys on the planet. My Tom doesn’t flock, peck, or anything as well as my female. Mine did get along with chickens (not sure about ducks) but I always kept them separate for health reasons. Hope this helps! :)

How old was the poult when you got it? I picked up two 10 week olds today and they scream bloody murder when I pick them up. Breaks my heart. I hope they grow to like me...

How old was the poult when you got it? I picked up two 10 week olds today and they scream bloody murder when I pick them up. Breaks my heart. I hope they grow to like me...

You got good advice in your post. Turkeys HATE change..... even if it is where the food bowl is put sometimes can set them off to squallin.

Back
Top Bottom