turkey pen is a sloppy mess

turkeyhill2225

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
How do I stop the sloppy mess my turkeys make. Grass turns into mudd in a week. I let them out. But not all the time there pen is 10 by 10 and have a coop for them. But between there poop and rain and the mess the make eatting the floor is like a inch of slop. What do u guy use as a base or is it what it is and its not a problem? I hate to walk in to change the water and fill feeder .was thinking about spreading straw out over the muck. Any advice would be great. Thx

How do I stop the sloppy mess my turkeys make. Grass turns into mudd in a week. I let them out. But not all the time there pen is 10 by 10 and have a coop for them. But between there poop and rain and the mess the make eatting the floor is like a inch of slop. What do u guy use as a base or is it what it is and its not a problem? I hate to walk in to change the water and fill feeder .was thinking about spreading straw out over the muck. Any advice would be great. Thx

I just put down play sand in my runs. That is supposed to be the best thing for now and then work on something permanent when the rains stop.

Look for posts about permanent solutions.

:welcome We have a slight slope to work with, so never have had standing water in runs. However, the few inches of topsoil over clay wasn't anything but a boot removal tool come the Spring thaw, and the turks were covered and looked to be ready for the kiln. Started adding sand and haven't stopped. No more mess in the Spring. Large rocks, along perimeter, on `downhill' side of runs, keep the sand that does wash off available for raking back into main portion of runs. Without a natural slope to run, it is either build in drainage and/or build up base of run (small gravel then sand).. BYC has a very good search function. Try performing search on run AND drainage (advanced search) in `titles/posts' (use the SEARCH button at bottom of page). Lots of info. that may be more pertinent to your setup. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sand works perfect! I have sand runs and I love them. I will never use anything else.

This is the peacock pen which is the largest uncovered run that has a sand floor. It is never messy or muddy in there. It can rain 10 inches and still no problem.

Mine are in a basement room (kind of, it was an addition to the house, under the porch, it's own seperate room) with cinder block walls and a cement floor. I put down shavings (takes a LOT of shavings, three or four massive bags) and then they free range. I don't know how anyone could handle the contained poop, because just their room for bedtime is enough to drive me mad.

Sand works perfect! I have sand runs and I love them. I will never use anything else.

This is the peacock pen which is the largest uncovered run that has a sand floor. It is never messy or muddy in there. It can rain 10 inches and still no problem.

The sand Idea is great but tell me this does it work like a Kitty litter box and does the POO clump together and what kind of scoop do you use
lau.gif

Just kidding it does sound like a good idea I may have to get me a truck bed full of sand to keep on hand

Sand will work Great in a open uncovered run, because it will work the poop through when it rains like a filter, but under a covered run, you will need a retainer wall like in KuntryGirl's Pea run, or the sand will just wash away. Hay will mat down and make a bigger mess. I have the same problem in the enclosed barn, because it doesn't get rained on. The only thing to do is till it in or turn it under with a shovel. The barn is on a dirt floor. If it were on cement, I would just pressure wash it. Thankfully, everyone free ranges and only sleeps in the barn at night. Since the turkeys make the really big poops, and they have a really high roost, it isn't hard to just throw more sand under it or shovel it out. Eventually, we'll have to till it up and push it out with the tractor and refill with more sand. The advantage will be that it will improve the pasture it gets dumped in. Dry weather isn't bad but it starts to smell in wet rainy weather, when the ducks track in a lot of water. I don't use waterers inside. they have a man made stream just outside the door.

Sand works perfect! I have sand runs and I love them. I will never use anything else. This is the peacock pen which is the largest uncovered run that has a sand floor. It is never messy or muddy in there. It can rain 10 inches and still no problem.
The sand Idea is great but tell me this does it work like a Kitty litter box and does the POO clump together and what kind of scoop do you use :lau Just kidding it does sound like a good idea I may have to get me a truck bed full of sand to keep on hand.
:yuckyuck I have not had to do anything to this sand run and I have had it for 2 years. I only go in there to clean their "apartment" and pick up after them (feathers). I hate cleaning their mirrors. :smack :gig However, I do want to get another load of sand and put in there. Like Celie said
Celie's Quote - Sand will work Great in a open uncovered run, because it will work the poop through when it rains like a filter, but under a covered run, you will need a retainer wall like in KuntryGirl's Pea run, or the sand will just wash away.

Back
Top Bottom