So I have histomoniasis (blackhead) in my turkeys...

Thorned

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
We are new to turkeys this year. I promised my wife after we moved and had space, I would get her turkeys. We settled on wanting heritage breeds and chose to go with the Narragansett. We bought 3 birds that were supposed to be 8 weeks or so old and put them in a new 19x11 pen on Aug 3rd. about a week or two later we had a HUGE rain storm for a couple of days. It was then that I realized the chicken pens drained all of their water through the turkey pen! I got out in the rain and redirected all I could and once the storm passed everything seemed fine.

A few days later, one of the turkeys was dead in the pen. It had been running around that morning eating treats and was dead that afternoon. I started looking around the pen and found some piles of yellow tinted poop. Next stop was the forums and I found plenty of stuff on blackhead (eventually) and did a necropsy. I was pretty sure that was the culprit so we treated the other 2 with safeguard and I built a new pen 14x11 (didn't have room for bigger) on the up-water side of the chicken pens so they could be totally separated. Everything was great.

Then 5 days ago another of the turkeys had yellow poop. We started amoxicillin (the only antibiotic we had access to at the time) and dewormed at the 10 day mark with safeguard again. We began mixing cayenne in to the water for the amoxicillin drench we are giving just cause we figure it couldn't hurt. The yellow poop continued to get worse and worse and was pure water with yellow strings in it 2 days ago. She was still coming out for treats, eating and drinking on her own and we were hopeful she would recover. She did not. Went out this morning after battling it for 4 days and found her dead. The other turkey shows no signs/symptoms of anything wrong with it at all (except for a few hours after deworming it passes some horribly black diarrhea but that happened the first time as well).

Now, background out of the way, on to my point. What do I do now? We need to get more turkeys to be with this one so it isn't alone, but has the new place I built already been contaminated to the point that I will simply continue to pass blackhead to others that I bring in? I have put out barn lime (just plain old powdered limestone) on the ground to dry up any droppings and wet spots in the hope that it will dry up/kill the cecal worms and thereby the protozoa too but I can find no information at all on what to do after blackhead in your population when keeping turkeys in open ground pens. We don't have a spot or the finances to continue to build pens so...anyone have any ideas or experiences to share?

Sorry for your losses. :hugs I have blackhead here too, and to keep outbreaks to a minimum, I keep my poults and peafowl off of the dirt until they are three months old and this really seems to help.

When they do get sick, they should be treated with three drugs: metronidazole, enrofloxacin, & fenbendazole. The metronidazole treats the actual blackhead, the enrofloxacin treats the secondary e.coli infection that they always get with blackhead, and the fenbendazole will kill the cecal worms.

Here are some good articles:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blackhead-histomoniasis-references.1404177/

For your existing pens, can you scrape them out and put base rock down?

We are new to turkeys this year. I promised my wife after we moved and had space, I would get her turkeys. We settled on wanting heritage breeds and chose to go with the Narragansett. We bought 3 birds that were supposed to be 8 weeks or so old and put them in a new 19x11 pen on Aug 3rd. about a week or two later we had a HUGE rain storm for a couple of days. It was then that I realized the chicken pens drained all of their water through the turkey pen! I got out in the rain and redirected all I could and once the storm passed everything seemed fine.

A few days later, one of the turkeys was dead in the pen. It had been running around that morning eating treats and was dead that afternoon. I started looking around the pen and found some piles of yellow tinted poop. Next stop was the forums and I found plenty of stuff on blackhead (eventually) and did a necropsy. I was pretty sure that was the culprit so we treated the other 2 with safeguard and I built a new pen 14x11 (didn't have room for bigger) on the up-water side of the chicken pens so they could be totally separated. Everything was great.

Then 5 days ago another of the turkeys had yellow poop. We started amoxicillin (the only antibiotic we had access to at the time) and dewormed at the 10 day mark with safeguard again. We began mixing cayenne in to the water for the amoxicillin drench we are giving just cause we figure it couldn't hurt. The yellow poop continued to get worse and worse and was pure water with yellow strings in it 2 days ago. She was still coming out for treats, eating and drinking on her own and we were hopeful she would recover. She did not. Went out this morning after battling it for 4 days and found her dead. The other turkey shows no signs/symptoms of anything wrong with it at all (except for a few hours after deworming it passes some horribly black diarrhea but that happened the first time as well).

Now, background out of the way, on to my point. What do I do now? We need to get more turkeys to be with this one so it isn't alone, but has the new place I built already been contaminated to the point that I will simply continue to pass blackhead to others that I bring in? I have put out barn lime (just plain old powdered limestone) on the ground to dry up any droppings and wet spots in the hope that it will dry up/kill the cecal worms and thereby the protozoa too but I can find no information at all on what to do after blackhead in your population when keeping turkeys in open ground pens. We don't have a spot or the finances to continue to build pens so...anyone have any ideas or experiences to share?
The blackhead disease can stay in the dirt for weeks Even months after a break out.. sorry your turkeys died.

A failure and success story with blackhead.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/histomoniasis-yellow-urate-lethargy-in-poult.1349852/

Sorry for your losses. :hugs I have blackhead here too, and to keep outbreaks to a minimum, I keep my poults and peafowl of of the dirt until they are three months old and this really seems to help.

When they do get sick, they should be treated with three drugs: metronidazole, enrofloxacin, & fenbendazole. The metronidazole treats the actual blackhead, the enrofloxacin treats the secondary e.coli infection that they always get with blackhead, and the fenbendazole will kill the cecal worms.

Here are some good articles:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blackhead-histomoniasis-references.1404177/

For your existing pens, can you scrape them out and put base rock down?
Thanks for the links! That's the stuff I was reading when I first realized it was blackhead but finding things in the forums a second time can be tough! I bookmarked it this time.

I was finally able to find the metronidazole without having to have a prescription and have some on the way to the house (few days out still) but I will start searching for the enrofloxacin as well just in case this last one starts showing symptoms (or should I just go ahead and treat as soon as I get the stuff?)

As for scraping out the pens, I probably could but I would have to get it cleared with the landowner first. I preferred the idea of them being able to forage on the grass and things but am starting to think that was a mistake.

The recommendation is to keep turkeys off of ground used by chickens for 3 years.
Do you know if this recommendation would be for an area where a sick turkey has been but that has never had chickens? I am mainly concerned that since the sick one was in this new pen, I have contaminated it via droppings. I did move them a few days AFTER she was dewormed with safeguard though.

Do you know if this recommendation would be for an area where a sick turkey has been but that has never had chickens? I am mainly concerned that since the sick one was in this new pen, I have contaminated it via droppings. I did move them a few days AFTER she was dewormed with safeguard though.
@casportpony is the one experienced with blackhead. What I found is that the eggs can live in the soil for up to 3 years. @Pennys Mama kept her survivor on wire while recuperating.

Kind of a resurrection of a post but wanted to pass on an update. Our third and final remaining Narraganset seems to have made it through *knock on wood*. She hasn't shown any real symptoms the whole time anyway but after her antibiotic rounds she is back to 50/50 black/dark diarrhea to normal poops. I am hopeful this is the signal of the end of my battle and the next few days will get rid of the diarrhea all together.

We went ahead and got 3 7 week old bourbon reds which appear to be doing well (only been here 48hrs) though 1 has a bit of diarrhea so I am watching it closely. My guess is that moving an hour in a car and a complete food change is likely to blame. Should I go ahead and treat these 3 with metronidazole, amoxicillin (can't get Baytril without a vet and no one close "sees" poultry), & fenbendazole? I don't like treating if something doesn't need it but I also don't want to bury anything else this year.

I've upped my biosecurity game with dedicated shoes for the turkey pen and I lime droppings 3-4 times a day to try to limit cloacal "drinking". Does anyone else have turkeys that just don't want to roost? I get that during the day when they take a rest they just lounge out in the shade/sun depending on what they want, but mine will NOT get on the roost at night. I have to go out and move them on to it (which for the record they are NOT fans of until they get up there and steady). I put in 3 roosts at 3 different heights (6", 2',5') but they just won't get up there on their own.

Kind of a resurrection of a post but wanted to pass on an update. Our third and final remaining Narraganset seems to have made it through *knock on wood*. She hasn't shown any real symptoms the whole time anyway but after her antibiotic rounds she is back to 50/50 black/dark diarrhea to normal poops. I am hopeful this is the signal of the end of my battle and the next few days will get rid of the diarrhea all together.

We went ahead and got 3 7 week old bourbon reds which appear to be doing well (only been here 48hrs) though 1 has a bit of diarrhea so I am watching it closely. My guess is that moving an hour in a car and a complete food change is likely to blame. Should I go ahead and treat these 3 with metronidazole, amoxicillin (can't get Baytril without a vet and no one close "sees" poultry), & fenbendazole? I don't like treating if something doesn't need it but I also don't want to bury anything else this year.

I've upped my biosecurity game with dedicated shoes for the turkey pen and I lime droppings 3-4 times a day to try to limit cloacal "drinking". Does anyone else have turkeys that just don't want to roost? I get that during the day when they take a rest they just lounge out in the shade/sun depending on what they want, but mine will NOT get on the roost at night. I have to go out and move them on to it (which for the record they are NOT fans of until they get up there and steady). I put in 3 roosts at 3 different heights (6", 2',5') but they just won't get up there on their own.
What are you using for roosts? Maybe the width doesn’t agree with their feet? Also, Blackhead occurs when the turkeys eat the worms that have passed through the contaminated soil. I have only ever treated with metronidazole, once a month in a special water mixture that is taken up after 24 hours. I would hesitate to offer any more than that without any kind of symptoms. Since you are somewhat confident this was Blackhead, then you know a preventative measure with the metronidazole would be an option. The only other way to increase your chances of success would be to have the turkeys in cement runs. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom