TSC Duckling Identification

Pics
I had a sick Indian Runner duckling (not contagious), so I had to go to TSC for medicine. Here is my sick duckling:

At TSC, I heard cheeping and saw ducklings. One especially made me think of an Appleyard, though the color wasn't quite right. And they also looked a bit like my duckling. I asked what breed these were, but the answer, typically, was "I don't know." Of course, this cutie and a friend jumped right into my cart. I finally got them to leave the cart... when I arrived at my car.

The head has an "appleyard" marking and the tail is black. The yellow part isn't a "clean" yellow. It is a yellow brushed over with faint black. The strangest part is that there is also black UNDER the yellow. In fact, each featherlet is black at the bottom, yellow in the upper part, but the very tips are black again. The tail is dark. The foot has white on it, and the ends of the wings are white. The upper bill has a black stripe over pink and the lower bill is pink.

Duckling # 2 from the same batch is similar but darker. The head marking is wider than a typical appleyard but there is a black head marking and a black tail. The back is a brownish yellow. Again, the bottom of each featherlet is quite black. This duckling has black feet and a black upper bill, with a pink lower bill. It has no white on the wings.

In contrast to my runner duckling, the head dips in between the eyes on the "forehead." There is a very definite V shape there.

Whatever they are, they are large and getting larger fast. Weights were 72 & 78 grams day 1, 92g and 108g day 2, and both at 145 g day 3. Compared to the Indian Runner ducklings, they are more timid and scared. They peep more loudly when isolated. They are more watchful when outdoors. They are much quicker to hide. (I got them the day TSC said they received them.)

Does anyone know what jumped into my cart? Appleyard or appleyard mix? Muscovy? Something else?

I have no idea what they are but one word comes to mind... Cute! I love that they jumped into your cart too!! Little rascals. Sorry I'm no help but I had a good smile reading your post. I hope you can figure out what they are but at least you can be assured they are adorable! ♡

Here's my yellow ones I thought were Pekins but on my other post someone said probably not.

I also have these possible runners? I think the fawn and white one is but not sure about the brown mallard color ones. Also do the mallard color ones look female in color or too early to tell still?

I had a sick Indian Runner duckling (not contagious), so I had to go to TSC for medicine. Here is my sick duckling: At TSC, I heard cheeping and saw ducklings. One especially made me think of an Appleyard, though the color wasn't quite right. And they also looked a bit like my duckling. I asked what breed these were, but the answer, typically, was "I don't know." Of course, this cutie and a friend jumped right into my cart. I finally got them to leave the cart... when I arrived at my car. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] The head has an "appleyard" marking and the tail is black. The yellow part isn't a "clean" yellow. It is a yellow brushed over with faint black. The strangest part is that there is also black UNDER the yellow. In fact, each featherlet is black at the bottom, yellow in the upper part, but the very tips are black again. The tail is dark. The foot has white on it, and the ends of the wings are white. The upper bill has a black stripe over pink and the lower bill is pink. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Duckling # 2 from the same batch is similar but darker. The head marking is wider than a typical appleyard but there is a black head marking and a black tail. The back is a brownish yellow. Again, the bottom of each featherlet is quite black. This duckling has black feet and a black upper bill, with a pink lower bill. It has no white on the wings. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] In contrast to my runner duckling, the head dips in between the eyes on the "forehead." There is a very definite V shape there. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Whatever they are, they are large and getting larger fast. Weights were 72 & 78 grams day 1, 92g and 108g day 2, and both at 145 g day 3. Compared to the Indian Runner ducklings, they are more timid and scared. They peep more loudly when isolated. They are more watchful when outdoors. They are much quicker to hide. (I got them the day TSC said they received them.) Does anyone know what jumped into my cart? Appleyard or appleyard mix? Muscovy? Something else?
Have you figured out what these are yet? The first one looks like a silver appleyard The second one kinda looks like a golden 300 duckling.. Their coloring is similar to muscovys i have seen. But tsc doesnt usually have muscovy. All though some have certainly gotten them from there. Wouldnt be mixed breeds since hatcheries sell pure breeds.

Here's my yellow ones I thought were Pekins but on my other post someone said probably not.

I also have these possible runners? I think the fawn and white one is but not sure about the brown mallard color ones. Also do the mallard color ones look female in color or too early to tell still?

They look like pekins... what did someone else think they were?
And the older ones look like two khaki campbells and a fawn and white runner

Someone mentioned since their bill was pink and not orange they probably weren't Pekins. Maybe Muscovy?

And I have gotten French white muscovies for TSC before

Someone mentioned since their bill was pink and not orange they probably weren't Pekins. Maybe Muscovy?

And I have gotten French white muscovies for TSC before

Oh okay. Yeah i have aeen a few who have gotten muscovy from tsc.
That will be interesting. Yours look pekin to me.
I have had a couple batches of pekkns and there is always a couple with the really pink colored bill

Back
Top Bottom