Topic of the Week - Aggressive Roosters: What is the best way to handle them?

Some roosters are really amazing flock members that knows their place and looks after their flocks without ever causing issues, or show signs of aggression towards his hens, or humans. But sometimes a problem rooster crops up that shows either excessive aggression to his hens, or attacks humans. In this thread, please tell me your thoughts on how to best manage an aggressive rooster, specifically:

- What was your experience(s) with aggressive roosters and what did you try/do to remedy it?
- Should aggressive roosters be rehabilitated, rehomed, or invited for dinner?

My 4 mos old RIR lowers his head and bumps my lower legs. I did a little research and one suggestion was to pick him up and walk around for about 15 mins. He stays close to me and doesn't attack but want to be prepared. My chickens free range and I keep a broom handy. If he lowers his head then I grab the broom. I've never hit him but he recognizes me as the alpha. We will see if this continues to work. He takes food from my hand and let's me get eggs so hoping for the best.

Just stay on top of him because if you don't, he will be a danger too you. My first Rooster, Pedro (pictured on my screenname photo) I didn't correct, I just kept using my boot to kick him out of my way. He eventually got me and put his massive spur into my lower leg as you can see in the attached pictures. I let him live though I watched him more closer. He eventually attacked my wife and I had to end his life that day. My two roosters that I have now I am dealing with much differently, but they seem to be good roosters thus far. Just never take your eye off a rooster, I made that mistake before, but not anymore.

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Attachments

• 20210428_155643.jpg
    20210428_155643.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210428_155637.jpg
    20210428_155637.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 2
I've had many cocks; the good, the bad, and the really bad, over the years. I do NOT try to make pets out of my cockrels, rather I walk 'through' them and expect them to get out of my way at all times. Cockrels who are 'friendly' as chicks have often not turned out well, in my experience. I won't waste my time trying to reform a bird who's not going to be a 'keeper' for any other reason, but I have tried to reform cockrels who challenged me IN ANY WAY, maybe twice. That's it, and then they are on the dinner list. Tammy's RIR is likely not going to turn out well, IMO. Here there are no excuses; what I'm wearing, if I'm annoying another bird, phases of the moon, whatever. The game bird people have shown that human aggression is separate from cock fighting behavior, and they have culled 'man fighters' for generations, even though their birds will fight each other to death. (Ugh, but it shows something about chicken genetics). Nasty roosters can cause serious injuries, and need to be gone before that happens. Someone will be happy to have a nice dinner, if not you. Managing your flock is part of being a good chicken keeper! Mary

I can tell you from experience, having a spur through the leg hurts.

More food for thought.
What happens when you are bent over, changing out a dish, or putting water somewhere, or checking one of the girls and this rooster decides to spur you in the face instead? An eye even? Things CAN get bad fast, even if we think we have them under control, they may not be.

Aaron

I have an aggressive rooster and he's turning 2 March 1st. I at first did not handle the situation, in the beginning, an started to get mad at him back and made things worse. Now he lets me pick him up and he even cuddles and falls asleep in my lap. It took lots of patience and training and showing him that he's okay and safe. I still have bruises up and down my legs from him and there are days where he has an attitude and will jump me, that's when I pick him up and take him for a walk around the yard, eventually, he lets me perch his feet an falls asleep in my lap. He is still be aggressive towards people especially men. He overall keeps his flock safe beside him running into the coop first forgetting about them lol but he's a good roster and I'm glad I kept him.

More food for thought.
What happens when you are bent over, changing out a dish, or putting water somewhere, or checking one of the girls and this rooster decides to spur you in the face instead? An eye even? Things CAN get bad fast, even if we think we have them under control, they may not be.

Aaron
Yep

Some roosters are really amazing flock members that knows their place and looks after their flocks without ever causing issues, or show signs of aggression towards his hens, or humans. But sometimes a problem rooster crops up that shows either excessive aggression to his hens, or attacks humans. In this thread, please tell me your thoughts on how to best manage an aggressive rooster, specifically:

- What was your experience(s) with aggressive roosters and what did you try/do to remedy it?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
As they attack me I swat them with an open hand. It hurts my feet as they hit, even through insulated muck boots. As they have aged to two years old they now only peck the ground around me. It's like prison when you have 25 24 hour free ranging roosters clustered around 200 hens in a pen, all you have to do is take down the top dog or two. With our rooster flock these are the only 2 leghorns surviving. The flock does segregate itself. The bastard rooster is exhiled pretty much. The rest are Welsumers.

I have 5 full grown Roos… one boy decided that he didn’t just have to rule the flock but me as well…
I handled him the only way he would understand that I was the dominant one not him…

I did the rooster dance…
Wing (arm) out to the side feathers (fingers stretched)
Leaned slightly shuffled my feet and went round in a circle and then a few steps sideways towards him..
He saw my challenge and tried charging me so I charged him
Head down and out straight both wings (arms) out behind my back and charged straight for him
He just stood there dumbfounded so when I was close enough I scooped him up and gave him lots and lots of “sloppy” mummy kisses and cuddles right in front of the other boys… only took a few weeks of doing this with him now he’s a big sook and doesn’t try challenging me or anyone else anymore….

My best friends grandma has the sweetest roosters ever. they
wave people alone and don’t even chase me when I go over. She said it’s all about the way they are handled as babies and how they are treated. But if they are violent like my brothers rooster just whack me with a baseball bat until they learn or until they can’t walk straight:he:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom