Topic of the Week - Aggressive Roosters: What is the best way to handle them?

How could you stop 2 roosters attacking each other? I have tried separating the dominant one, but that didn't work. This might just be that they hate each other :confused:
In my painful experience, one had to be rehomed. Of our 11 chickens, two were Roos (thanks to that well intended “bonus chick” from the hatchery). They all grew up together and did fine until around a year old. I came home one day to find them with bloody heads, walking around in a daze. Separated them a few times but as soon as they got the chance they were at each other again. (It was impressive - I don’t condone cock fighting but I understand the allure for a certain segment of the population.)

Flock size is just one reason why two Roos might be one too many, there are lots of variables, Good luck though, and do try to work something out before somebody 🐔 is badly injured.

You may already know who gets to stay, but if not, how to decide? In our case I loved them both and figured either of them would be a better rooster if they were the lone rooster. I found a family who needed a rooster for a nice flock and let them choose. It worked out fine. And I have to say, our guy who stayed, Aegis, has settled down to be a truly fine rooster once he didn’t have to constantly be proving himself.

If they aren't too aggressive and are just super annoying, I'd probably rehome them, but if they're aggressive towards people or other birds to an unreasonable degree that I don't think can be corrected then they're getting eaten. Eating them gives them a way to contribute without terrorizing everyone in my flock and household.

dinnertime
Oh No Wow GIF by Bluey

If they aren't too aggressive and are just super annoying, I'd probably rehome them, but if they're aggressive towards people or other birds to an unreasonable degree that I don't think can be corrected then they're getting eaten. Eating them gives them a way to contribute without terrorizing everyone in my flock and household.
They are only aggressive to each other.... and the dog.... but they don't have enough meat on them to eat.

They are only aggressive to each other.... and the dog.... but they don't have enough meat on them to eat.
I had been responding to the original thread question. ^^ Either way, sounds like they'd both probably be best as an only rooster. I'd rehome one, or maybe divide into two flocks with separate areas? The dividing plan would be too complicated for me though. I'd just give one away.

As for them not liking the dog, I'm not positive how to fix that. Sorry :(

I had been responding to the original thread question. ^^ Either way, sounds like they'd both probably be best as an only rooster. I'd rehome one, or maybe divide into two flocks with separate areas? The dividing plan would be too complicated for me though. I'd just give one away.

As for them not liking the dog, I'm not positive how to fix that. Sorry :(
Sorry, I didn't know that!!
(And I meant they attack the dog.... 😳 The dog hates chooks now...)

I ended up with too many boys, they didn't get along/ aggressive so I culled all but 1... But now with more hatching and a few chicks my problem begins again. In the past I have been able to rehome young cockerels but if any are aggressive I cull for safety.

Back
Top Bottom