To hang or not to hang....

Hanging can still be sat and pooped in, jumped on and tipped/spilled. Never worked for me.

I use two troughs, 2-2.5ft long, 4-6in wide and 4-6in deep. I have them along one wall w/large rocks holding them in place. They are also under boards to keep them clean. I don't fill all the way, I don't feed them again until they ate all of it. That is one reason they just waste it, make them want to eat and do not refill!

You can put wire over shallow troughs/pans so they cannot scratch or peck feed out.

As for water...leave it outside on top of bricks and you'll be fine. Day will melt ice unless you are so far north you don't get any warm day time.

We have one feeder that hangs just under the edge of the coop so that food doesn't get wet and spoil and one hanging from the ceiling of the coop - they are plastic and pretty slick so they can't really jump on them and hanging from as small as possible a cord so that it moves easily and again makes it difficult to jump on. The one under the edge of the coop is totally jump on proof because it literally hangs from the bottom of the coop - no place to jump. Would be happy to post pics but am having problems with camera software. Would be happy to share with you by email or can put on facebook though.

I read that a good reason to hang your feed is to also keep the young chickens reaching up, stretching and going through the early growing stages, don't know how true that is, but it makes good since to me.
wink.png

Ive been suggested to try a water nipple which actually sounds like a good idea with the water and as far as the food well Ive made a wooden box that has a peice of wood seperated to keep the feed out of their pine shavings area. Right now their 4 weeks old so the wood peice to seperate will be taller as they grow but for now its only two inches tall and it works. They peck and their food gets out of the feeder but its in the box area so I just take a little hand broom and sweep it up into a pile and they eat it and no shavings are in it.
So far that is working for me but we shall see as they grow wont we. lol...

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm at work and can't post a pic, but my feeder (and waterer) just hang from an "S" hook at the end of a chain hooked to the top of the coop. Simple, and easy to adjust height upward as they grew. I keep them at about the height of the girls shoulders, though I may raise the waterer up one more link, since they still can manage getting sand in it at the present height.

The problem I had with hanging feeders is I have 2 girls that with their beaks pick and scratch it out on the ground. When I raised it to a point they could not do that they could not all get to the feeder then it also became a PITA to fill and unhook in the coop I have which is a lower roof on the side of the coop 4' feet high and hard to get to. So I went to a bucket with a 4 to 5" lip and was not big enough for them to stand in and when they picked and scratched with their beak it just went back into the feed ie the pan the feeder is in. See the pictures below

102768_4x18_shop_pan.jpg

102768_1320426008121.jpg

Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!!
Welcome2theBYC.gif

Back
Top Bottom