Tiny holes in Eggs..?

dilwalaraj

Hatching
May 1, 2017
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have noticed tiny little holes in my eggs. You can't see them. But when I leave them in water to clean them I see tiny air bubbles coming up from eggs. Are these eggs safe to eat? I figured if I leave them in water the poopy water is going into the eggs they're probably not safe to eat and why are there holes on the eggs.? I do not feed them oyster shells or calcium does that make a difference.?

Please help. Thank you.

Eggs are porous so air and moisture can pass through them as chicks develop in them. You should not submerge your eggs as it can force bacteria into them. A quick wash under running water warmer than the eggs will keep them from being contaminated. Refrigerate after. I wouldn't eat soaked eggs.

Your hens should be eating layer feed, and should have a little container or pie tin full of calcium supplement. Eggs have pores in them, and you should not put them in cold water because it the bacteria on the outside want to be warm and they will move inside the egg through the pores if you put the egg in cold water. Don't eat eggs that have been in cold water. It is best not to wash eggs, the hen coats the egg just before it is laid with a special coating called the bloom and it keeps bacteria out. If you need to wash them, you can wash them in warm water, or just use a dry paper towel to wipe off mud.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have noticed tiny little holes in my eggs. You can't see them. But when I leave them in water to clean them I see tiny air bubbles coming up from eggs. Are these eggs safe to eat? I figured if I leave them in water the poopy water is going into the eggs they're probably not safe to eat and why are there holes on the eggs.? I do not feed them oyster shells or calcium does that make a difference.?

Please help. Thank you.

I do the float test, if they float, discard the if not take them.
Don't leave them for more that 7 seconds, Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom