Timing help with broody hen on eggs

MD Sand

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Maryland
Hi guys,
Hen currently on eggs that are likely fertilized. My question is about development timing in transition to new house/ next box.
3 days ago she sat on eggs and was there for 24 hours incubating.
2 days ago (at night) I moved her and eggs to a new location, in the morning she was on the roost not eggs, not sure how long but they were chilly. (maximum time could have been 10 hours). Outside temp was 69 at night, not sure what it was in the brooding box.
I put her back on the eggs and she's been on them ever since.
I can swap new eggs from other layers over the next few days, but are all these eggs bad? Or is there a chance? Should I mix some old with new? And can you write on eggs with a sharpie to identify them?
Thanks!

I use a Sharpie to mark my eggs.

You can wait a couple of days and candle the eggs to see what development you have. After only 24 hours of incubating you are not going to see much if anything at all if the embryo died then. So if you see veins and development you should be good.

Do not add a few, then later add a few. If you start over, collect all of the eggs you want her to hatch, mark them, and start them all at the same time so they will hatch together. Check under her daily after the others have laid and remove any that do not belong. As long as you collect them daily you can still eat them.

If you don't start them all at the same time you can get a dreaded staggered hatch. Those can be extremely stressful and often are not very successful. It is very important to start them all at the same time.

Extremely helpful thanks. I'll wait a few. Is the best time work with eggs in the middle of the night, if needed?

It needs to be dark when you candle the eggs so nighttime is probably best. I candle in a room with no windows so I can make it dark in there.

Unless I am giving the hen chicks or taking them away I don't worry about day or night. Some people worry about that but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom