Thoughts on Scratch n' Peck feed?

gabbondante

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
So I am on the hunt for a soy-free chicken feed which I have found to be **** near impossible. I do not feed soy to my family (including my horses and dogs) so I don't plan on feeding it to me chicks. I have found Scratch n' Peck feeds which look lovely - I was wondering if others on here are using it and what your thoughts are. I am planning on using the chick version right from the start. Also, if there are any other non-soy brands out there that I am missing/are better, please point me in that direction!

I buy a USDA certified organic soy free feed from www.countrysideorganics.com. It is wonderful! They are in VA. And I'm in CA. And it only takes 4 days to arrive at my door. Please look at the ingredients. I think you will be pleased. They also have probotics in the food! It's always fresh because they only Mill small amounts at a time. I've been so happy with this feed.it has all organic wholesome ingredients. Hope this helps. A 50 pound bag for layer is about 27.00.its so worth it.my chickens love it and the eggs are amazing after eating it! Do check it out.its non soy, non Gmo, and USDA certified organic.

So I am on the hunt for a soy-free chicken feed which I have found to be **** near impossible. I do not feed soy to my family (including my horses and dogs) so I don't plan on feeding it to me chicks. I have found Scratch n' Peck feeds which look lovely - I was wondering if others on here are using it and what your thoughts are. I am planning on using the chick version right from the start. Also, if there are any other non-soy brands out there that I am missing/are better, please point me in that direction!

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scratch n Peck feeds. REAL food, organic (100% except for the oyster shell), probiotics, whole/cracked grain, soy-free. We have used the Starter, Grower and Layer feeds. We live in WA and the oldest "milled on" date was about 5 weeks old, usually it's 2-3 weeks. Also a soy & corn free version. Menhaden fish meal (VERY high quality protein) that uses organic preservatives. You need chick grit and regular grit for the adult birds if they don't free range.

It is one of the more expensive organic feed brands out there, but WE eat a nutrient dense mostly organic diet...why not the eggs and meat we'll eat?

And if Scratch n Peck isn't available at a feed store near you, ask your stores to carry it. Or check out Azure Standard...they carry SnP feeds, amongst other organic brands. Join a local Azure "drop point" and save big $$ buying monthly from this natural foods (& feeds) warehouse. Usually $50 min order as long as your drop point group orders at least $500. Free shipping.

Thanks for the responses! I looked into the Countryside Organics feed - looks great! I live in NJ, so I wonder, with shipping, what it will come out to be. I ordered my chick feed from Scratch n Peck this time, and shipping was about $15 - I think that's a lot, considering the feed was $24 (25# bag). Thanks again for the input - it's greatly appreciated!

Depending on where you are in NJ, you may be able to find Organic Unlimited Soy Free feed (mash or pellets). Go to their website www.organicfeedmill.com and check out their distributors. There is also a Mennonite farmer here in Oley PA that makes his own soy free feed (mash only) that may be a worthwhile drive for you depending on where you are located. Organic Unlimited is located in Atglen, Chester County, PA just to let you know in case that is in driving distance. Hope this helps.

I buy a USDA certified organic soy free feed from www.countrysideorganics.com. It is wonderful! They are in VA. And I'm in CA. And it only takes 4 days to arrive at my door. Please look at the ingredients. I think you will be pleased. They also have probotics in the food! It's always fresh because they only Mill small amounts at a time. I've been so happy with this feed.it has all organic wholesome ingredients. Hope this helps. A 50 pound bag for layer is about 27.00.its so worth it.my chickens love it and the eggs are amazing after eating it! Do check it out.its non soy, non Gmo, and USDA certified organic.
Thank you for recommending this! I love Scratch n Peck, we got a small bag of their chick starter to mix in with the big bag organic chick starter I bought at our local nursery (but the feed is not local and the company has a complete lack of transparency except that I know there is soy and corn as the main ingredients) but Scratch n Peck's shipping is just too much for us plus there is not a 50lb bag option for shipping so I would have to buy two 25 lbs for $20.99 each ($41.98) plus $31.60 for a total of $73.58 vs Countryside Organic which is $19 for 25lbs but only $29.50 for 50lbs and shipping is $17.70 for a total of $47.20. I looked into Hiland Naturals, actually emailed them twice since I'm in Ohio and I heard they could do custom orders (I don't like that corn is the first ingredient and that their starter and grower both have oyster shells in them) but never heard back and their organic line and shipping are more expensive $37.50 + $26.40 = $63.90. Yeah, so for now we are going with better ingredients and price over local, I just placed my order!

Just one question, do you know if all their feed is crumble or is the broiler/grower or layer whole or cracked grains like Scratch n Peck? I would go with Scratch n Peck if I was on the West Coast though.

Back
Top Bottom