How do you store your feed/scratch?

Pics
Hello. I am looking for ideas for storing my feed/scratch. I currently keep all feed/scratch in our feed/tack room which is in our basement through an outside door. We have some mice friends getting into it. What do you use that works? Metal trash cans? Plastic feed containers? Thanks in advance.
I use metal trash cans. Have used them for years.keeps the critters out and the feed dry.

Good info everyone. Very timely for us as we were discussing this topic while picking up chick starter this morning. We used metal trash cans for our chickens in SC and it worked. We had over 100 chickens. We are starting our chicken adventure in FL. After reading some of the post I was wondering what you can keep feed dry in the humid weather we have in FL. I saw someone uses broken freezers, which we just so happen to have. I am still concerned even that may be an issue with humidity. Could you place Damprid inside to keep it dry or something else?

I use 5 gallon plastic buckets. A local food store gives them away for free. (They had previously contained various food products.) They are of heavy plastic that mice can't chew through, (and I actually don't see signs of them trying). One 5 gallon bucket holds 25 pounds of feed or a little more. The lids press on securely. (The only drawback is that in cold weather, the lid can be a little hard to pull off.)
For smaller amounts, I also use plastic 2-gallon buckets with snap-on lids from the same place. They had previously contained olives or other bulk foods. They are not as thick and heavy as the 5-gallon buckets but the lids snap off more easily, and I have still never had a critter get into them. The lids to these come in various colors, so I use them to color-code different kinds of feed.

Back
Top Bottom