This is what an egg that is going to explode in a few hours looks like when candled

Ankaa

Songster
Apr 10, 2023
FB44CACB-DC22-47FE-91D8-2DEA954AFCB8.jpeg

I learned the hard way the next morning. Just wanted to get this out here so you can learn from my mistake.

I had also candled it about a week before. At that time, it looked very behind in development. 7 days later when I candled it again, the egg had gone completely dark which was a big red flag. Don’t do what I did and leave it in.

Note: this is an Ayam Cemani egg

Seven years ago I had a broody hen sitting on eggs. I was fairly new to chickens, she was my first broody, and I didn't candle her eggs, even though I had read that it should be done. 19 days into her incubation, I discovered that a rotten egg had exploded underneath her. The smell was horrific, and I felt so bad for the broody, especially because she is such a sweet hen. (A Rhode Island Red named Goodgirl that is now 8 years old.) I took her inside and washed the disgusting mess off in my kitchen sink, and most of her remaining eggs successfully hatched. Believe me, I learned my lesson, and ever since that incident I candle religiously several times during incubation. Never again do I have Any intention of dealing with an exploded rotten egg!

Badly. How I would describe it is a rotting watermelon with, instead, a very noticeable egg stench. At a distance, you only smell the “very noticeable egg stench” but when you open it and get a whiff of the source, it is so strong and so bad your body will try to vomit involuntarily
I meant did it stink, did you notice a smell, the last time you candled it?

I meant did it stink, did you notice a smell, the last time you candled it?
ohh. No I didn’t smell that until it exploded. Edit: important to note I have a really bad sense of smell so there might’ve been a little something I just didn’t pick up on

Back
Top Bottom