Things you wish you could say

I just know about the talk of mold being bad for chickens. I also know not all mold is the same - I love blue cheese.
I know about that talk. I usually ignore it :)

By the time I saw the internet wisdom about what not to feed chickens, I already had years of experience feeding them most kinds of table scraps and garden weeds, and I knew I could trust the chickens to pick through and eat what is safe for them (which has included every piece of moldy bread or cheese I have ever given them, as far as I could tell.)

I would not give moldy stuff as the only source of food, and I would throw in the trash anything that is so moldy I can't tell what it used to be, but I have watched chickens devour lots of things that had small amounts of mold, and I never saw any problems. Chickens in my care die on butchering day, or on rare occasions from predators, but they never seem to die from anything that could be related to what they ate.

They have warnings in the whole general area. So far, nothing going on here where I am.
Keep us updated and stay safe, Sally Peanut Butter! (That's what I read every time I see your username
I did not just bite into a moldy bagel. Oh wait… yes I did. 🤮🤮🤮 But thankfully I didn’t bite into the mold but still. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
I almost did that the other day. Toasted it, put butter and pbj on it. Then fixed my son one. His was moldy so it made me check mine. Had to throw both away

Back
Top Bottom