Calico or something else? Cochin Bantams

Tiffany24

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Hi, I bought 4 Cochin Bantams about 3 weeks ago. The pullets have begun changing colors a bit. They are now roughly 8 weeks old. Do they look like Calico to you? I now feel the pull to invest in more Cochins because they are soooo friendly with my 2 year old daughter. While my LG fowl chickens run from her, these guys love the attention they received. Down the rabbit hole I go.

1000018995.jpg
1000018996.jpg
1000018980.jpg

I have to admit color wise the cockerel is my favorite. Can you create calico from pairing these? Thank you.

I have to admit color wise the cockerel is my favorite. Can you create calico from pairing these? Thank you.
Not real sure. If they are related you may get true calico in some of the offspring. Certainly worth trying. I've got a few calico myself. It's a nice color in the Bantam cochins.

I believe he said the cockerel wasn't related but he only showed me 1 set of Cochins Bantams and all chicks were the same age. I'd say there is a decent chance they could be half siblings. The rooster looked similar to the cockerel and the pullets look similar to the hens I seen.

I believe he said the cockerel wasn't related but he only showed me 1 set of Cochins Bantams and all chicks were the same age. I'd say there is a decent chance they could be half siblings. The rooster looked similar to the cockerel and the pullets look similar to the hens I seen.
Most calico continue to change in color as they mature. So it's possible the females may lighten up. The lacing isn't supposed to be there, at least in my limited experience with this color. The male will probably get more dark patches. He should be gorgeous.

The pullets have definitely changed a little in the 3 weeks we've had them. It will be fun to play with the colors. If I can find more pullets that look like the cockerel that would be perfect. This is a picture from May 1st. Actually I think all 4 changed a bit.
1000018216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom