I imagine, wether its the primary reason or not, the salmonella concern is also a part of why they aren't allowed.

Looking beyond it being an actual risk or not, they are clearly paranoid about it since they don't allow cats/dogs eating raw diets to be certified for this reason.

I think that's overly cautious in the majority of situations, but I can see why they would want to be careful with people who are at higher risk (in hospitals, nursing homes, etc). I'm sure it could be a big legal issue if someone did get sick.
I agree with you, except they allow birds, and mini horses, rats and alpacas....so not including chickens...when the human part of the team would insure the chickens cleanliness and safety standards are met makes no sense to me. There seems to be quite a bit of evidence chickens are indeed good therapy animals. Shrug, I'm still looking-not giving up yet :)

Yes, they do certify birds! That is why I spent hours reading articles and watching videos on their website and got my hopes up. Good thing I asked about specifically chickens before spending $70 for the therapy handler course.
What kind of birds?
Do they have to stay in cages or......?
Probably smaller ones less likely to peck....and with much smaller poops.

What kind of birds?
Do they have to stay in cages or......?
Probably smaller ones less likely to peck....and with much smaller poops.
It looks like they accept any traditional pet store bird. They have to wear a flight suit and pass a Therapy team exam. Shrug. I read that Pet Partners was bought by Mars inc, so that may explain the hardline corporate response I received. Too bad.

Of course, research is very important. Now I want to become a nurse, and I am looking for a reliable service to help me. Of course, treating people is more difficult than treating chickens, but I hope to cope with this.

Why don't you contact Michigan State University. They have a veterinary school as well as a psychology department. I'm sure someone might be interested in your quest.

Back
Top Bottom