Hello.
I have been all over online looking for any umbrella organization that provides training, registers or certifies Therapy Animals including chickens.
So far I have spent an entire day on Pet Partners .org website reading, watching videos, and getting my hopes up that finally I had found an organization that allows chickens because they allow birds. The following is the disappointing response I received from them this morning--
" At this time we do not register chickens in our Therapy Animal Program. In order to incorporate a new species into our Therapy Animal Program, we need to have a substantive body of research that indicates the animal will be successful as a therapy animal. Without research to document the species' behavior over time, we cannot evaluate their predictability and reaction to stress. We are not opposed to adding new species to our roster should the supporting research become available, and we take pride that we are the only national therapy animal organization to register species other than dogs and horses."
(They allow for Therapy Lamas, mini horses, rats, and alpacas...but not chickens).
*Sigh*
So my question for the BYC community is- for those of you who have 'Therapy Chickens', did you get some sort of training? Did you register or certify with an org? Do you take your chicken on visits in public spaces, and if so, do you have liability insurance in case someone is injured by your pet chicken?
I think one of my hens would be a lovely Therapy Chicken, but I feel the need for some sort of basic training and registration as an assurance to the people I would serve at places like nursing homes, libraries, and other public spaces.
Any thoughts or info at all would be appreciated.
Dream come true...
I think chickens would be great therapy animals, my one hen is a sweetheart!
Did you know some assisted living homes give their residents small chicken coops that come with a couple hens, that way their minds stay sharp!

I imagine, wether its the primary reason or not, the salmonella concern is also a part of why they aren't allowed.

Looking beyond it being an actual risk or not, they are clearly paranoid about it since they don't allow cats/dogs eating raw diets to be certified for this reason.

I think that's overly cautious in the majority of situations, but I can see why they would want to be careful with people who are at higher risk (in hospitals, nursing homes, etc). I'm sure it could be a big legal issue if someone did get sick.

You should do that!
Unfortunately for me, their website states-- " Intermountain Therapy Animals operates only in Utah, Montana and Idaho."
I live in Michigan.
I will keep the info in mind-thank you!!
:he I remember that...now. :lol:

Dream come true...
I think chickens would be great therapy animals, my one hen is a sweetheart!
Did you know some assisted living homes give their residents small chicken coops that come with a couple hens, that way their minds stay sharp!
I have heard that too! It sounds like a wonderful plan! I wish Nursing Homes around me did that!

:he I remember that...now. :lol:

I have heard that too! It sounds like a wonderful plan! I wish Nursing Homes around me did that!
I know!
It's good for them!
My mother told me the difference between convalescent homes and assisted living, it's sad though, when some young people put their elderly family members in homes...
My mother used to visit the older people when she was younger and they loved it!

I kind of understand their reasoning.......but curious if they certify any type of birds?
Yes, they do certify birds! That is why I spent hours reading articles and watching videos on their website and got my hopes up. Good thing I asked about specifically chickens before spending $70 for the therapy handler course.

Back
Top Bottom