One week old now. One duckling consistently larger than the other but both seem to be making good progress, they eat a lot and are lively. Just polished off a bowl of chopped yarrow + egg white (traditional for young poultry in our country).

photo_2024-05-03_10-53-24.jpg

photo_2024-05-03_11-08-11.jpg

Last edited:
One week old now. One duckling consistently larger than the other but both seem to be making good progress, they eat a lot and are lively. Just polished off a bowl of chopped yarrow + egg white (traditional for young poultry in our country).

View attachment 3819404
View attachment 3819405
I'd be willing to bet the bigger one is Male and the smaller one is Female. The tail ends look like how my little Calls were and how they started out. Now my female is the bigger of the two but for sure I have a drake and a hen. She quacks a lot and he still peeps and his head has a glance of blue on it which is typical of a Pastel colored Call duck. He will be beautiful when he is done getting his adult colors.

I'd be willing to bet the bigger one is Male and the smaller one is Female. The tail ends look like how my little Calls were and how they started out. Now my female is the bigger of the two but for sure I have a drake and a hen. She quacks a lot and he still peeps and his head has a glance of blue on it which is typical of a Pastel colored Call duck. He will be beautiful when he is done getting his adult colors.
The little one talks A LOT .... :)

New hobby unlocked: catch house flies with fly swatter, feed to ducklings. Super popular. We don't use any chemicals so that should be OK.
I had a duckling last year who would only eat flies i caught for it for days. Insects are a good source for nutrients and the natural food for ducklings. Whenever i have a momma duck with ducklings i leave some kitchen scraps outside to rot and attract flies (out of reach of the dux!) so that the little ones can perfect their hunting strategies.

I agree: The taller one (is it the first hatched?) looks like a drake. His? bill looks more "chunkier" and more "triangular" at the base. The smaller one has a more rounded bill.
Can't wait if we are correct. @Supercow listen carefully to their peeps, i had duxlings starting to quax in their second week. It sounds like: Peep, peep, peex, peex!

Back
Top Bottom