The Exercise & Motivation Thread - 2024

Today was back and biceps. My favorite workout because there was no HIIT today. Tomorrow is a rest day but I'll do some stretching, I'm gonna need it

Yesterday was shoulder HIIT intervals. I like that workout because I do two shoulder moves then a 30 sec HIIT move(3 rounds of 3 blocks) I still get the cardio in but it breaks it up and it actually goes by pretty fast. Every workout finishes with two core moves(3 rounds each). Today is the dreaded leg day. You burn the most calories on leg day because those are the biggest muscles but jeez oh man, it works you out

Here's a question I have. Usually, I work out on the elliptical for 20, with music. I start out on a resistance of 6 (whatever that is) and work up to a speed of 10 mph in the first 3-5 minutes. I try to keep it at that speed the rest of the time. I usually lessen the resistance to 5 about half way through. I burn around 120-130 calories, and the distance is usually 3.5 miles =/-.

Yesterday, I really wanted to read my book, so I worked out "for a chapter." I was at level 6, worked for 31 minutes, went 4.5 miles, burned 188 calories, but my speed averaged 8.8-9.3 mph. I didn't take my pulse (should have!), but it wasn't nearly as high. So it wasn't as intense, but I spent more energy.

Which was the better workout?

Here's a question I have. Usually, I work out on the elliptical for 20, with music. I start out on a resistance of 6 (whatever that is) and work up to a speed of 10 mph in the first 3-5 minutes. I try to keep it at that speed the rest of the time. I usually lessen the resistance to 5 about half way through. I burn around 120-130 calories, and the distance is usually 3.5 miles =/-.

Yesterday, I really wanted to read my book, so I worked out "for a chapter." I was at level 6, worked for 31 minutes, went 4.5 miles, burned 188 calories, but my speed averaged 8.8-9.3 mph. I didn't take my pulse (should have!), but it wasn't nearly as high. So it wasn't as intense, but I spent more energy.

Which was the better workout?
They both have their benefits. Like sprinting vs jogging. I always heard that to know you are doing good at cardio, try to talk. If you can say a sentence while working out and not be out of breath, you should up the movement. If saying a sentence is hard and you have to stop to breathe, that's good. Personally, I think you can do both. The first one would be good to get your heart rate up and the second would be good for stamina. Just don't be like Flo's sister in those Progressive commercials!
busting-my.gif

They both have their benefits. Like sprinting vs jogging. I always heard that to know you are doing good at cardio, try to talk. If you can say a sentence while working out and not be out of breath, you should up the movement. If saying a sentence is hard and you have to stop to breathe, that's good. Personally, I think you can do both. The first one would be good to get your heart rate up and the second would be good for stamina. Just don't be like Flo's sister in those Progressive commercials!
View attachment 3755123
I agree! Great advice.

I love reading these posts! I can hardly wait to get back to my daily elliptical/weight routine. I keep getting sick.... my small human is in kindergarten and is sharing every single germ he finds. I've been sick three times since getting Covid in January and I'm still dealing with the fatigue and heart rate struggles from Covid.

I usually work out 5 days a week. As a home brewer... it's a simple trade off that's worked very well for me. Keto, plus exercising, then one day a week where I can drink beer, take it easy, and eat like a teenager!

It can be hard to stay motivated; I work out at 5am most days and I can't go do hikes or outdoor stuff without someone to go with me, our area is actually pretty dangerous. Then since December I've been able to work out like normal for maybe one or two weeks at a time, at most, then I get sick again! Brutal winter.

I've been focusing on my diet lately. I'm not sure whether that falls under this thread topic, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone tried an elimination diet? If so, which one? I'm quite surprised at how much better I feel in only a few weeks thus far. My joint pain is gone and I have more energy.

I've been focusing on my diet lately. I'm not sure whether that falls under this thread topic, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone tried an elimination diet? If so, which one? I'm quite surprised at how much better I feel in only a few weeks thus far. My joint pain is gone and I have more energy.
I have not. What are you eliminating?

Back
Top Bottom