The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This picture was shared in the Owlbeard thread...
do you know what the color is called / based on, @NatJ ?
Thank you for all your efforts here :hugs

Owlbeard color.jpg

Looks like gold spangling
Gold Spangling is what I was thinking too.

That is, the kind of "spangled" like Hamburgs and Spitzhaubens and Brabanters have, with a black tip on a gold feather. It's genetically similar to lacing, with just a few genetic changes making the black form a clump at the tip of the feather instead of an edge around it.

(Not the "spangling" caused by the mottling gene, that was being discussed yesterday in Jubilee Orpingtons.)

I was just playing with the chicken calculator some more wondering what an S/s roo looks like. Could that possibly be this roo: View attachment 3412091View attachment 3412093
He's the only one that shows that pale a gold. Anytime I try to add melanizers, mahogany, or other genes it goes to no image

That's the one I was wondering about. I haven't seen enough splits to be sure about recognizing them. But if you do have silver in the chicks, then it must be coming from somewhere, and he seemed more likely than any of your other hens or roosters.

Yes, the calculator has some gaps that make it frustrating. Since a lot of my own knowledge comes from playing with it, I sometimes get stuck at those points too.

...so the calculators only telling me there has to be S/s in the boy and S/- in the girl. And when I add Columbian to the boy only it shows I could get silver hens and roos, but when I add Columbian to the hen only it says I'd only get silver hens with no silver roos which I don't understand yet either.

Editing to add that the calculator was showing a yellow headed boy if I add silver and mahogany on an e/eb I think it was.
That's definitely one of the weird things when dealing with the calculator.

Since silver/gold are on the Z sex chromosome, a hen must be s+/- gold or S/- silver but cannot be both. But the yellow that is used in the images, and the way it interacts with some of the other genes, is something I don't fully understand either.

[Edited to fix mis-behaving quotes]

That's the one I was wondering about. I haven't seen enough splits to be sure about recognizing them. But if you do have silver in the chicks, then it must be coming from somewhere, and he seemed more likely than any of your other hens or roosters.

Yes, the calculator has some gaps that make it frustrating. Since a lot of my own knowledge comes from playing with it, I sometimes get stuck at those points too.

That's definitely one of the weird things when dealing with the calculator.

Since silver/gold are on the Z sex chromosome, a hen must be s+/- gold or S/- silver but cannot be both. But the yellow that is used in the images, and the way it interacts with some of the other genes, is something I don't fully understand either.

[Edited to fix mis-behaving quotes]
I went back to the calculator and couldn't recreate the results I got before though I think I set all the genes the same. I've never had that happen before so I must have missed a gene. And I also realized that it was showing silver roos, just as no image and labeled as duckwings...but the genes read as S/S. That's what I get for skimming pics instead of reading the genes.

I'm thinking that boy is a duckwing because his wing feathers are white and red. I'm just starting to read about duckwing so not sure how it's related to silver genes yet...just that it and silver are what I keep seeing called duckwing.

I'm thinking that boy is a duckwing because his wing feathers are white and red. I'm just starting to read about duckwing so not sure how it's related to silver genes yet...just that it and silver are what I keep seeing called duckwing.
As you've discovered, some chicken colors have confusing names!

e+/e+ is Black Breasted Red, is also called Wild Type (the color/pattern found in the wild Red Jungle Fowl, with no mutations present.) That color could also be called Red Duckwing.
Silver Duckwing is the same pattern, but with silver instead of gold/red.

When you add other genes, that same pattern gets even more names.
Red Pyle (Dominant White changes the black to white).
Crele (white bars across all the feathers).
Blue Breasted Red (blue gene present)
Spangled (mottling gene present)

Some of those also appear under different names in different breeds. And there are probably some other "Duckwing" variants I've forgotten to list.

"Duckwing" is distinguished from "Crowwing" (E^R Birchen) by the appearance of the rooster's wing. Roosters with e^b and e^Wh also have the Duckwing appearance, but the hens look different than e+/e+ hens.

I went back to the calculator and couldn't recreate the results I got before though I think I set all the genes the same. I've never had that happen before so I must have missed a gene. And I also realized that it was showing silver roos, just as no image and labeled as duckwings...but the genes read as S/S. That's what I get for skimming pics instead of reading the genes.

The white wings, is due to the heavy mottling.
20201119_133230.jpg

Back
Top Bottom