The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

It will be hard to get away from the solid color. Technically bbs can be treated as black. Breed to a patterned bird and continue from there but using the offspring. Bbs alone to another color won't give you much but leaky bbs.

If you can use the chicken calculator it will help guide you in a direction.
If I already have a wide variety of feathered hens. Than what rooster color would be most recessive or great complementer?

If I already have a wide variety of feathered hens. Than what rooster color would be most recessive or great complementer?
A Rhode Island Red rooster can be a good choice, any other of the black-tailed red chickens (New Hampshire, Production Red, Buckeye)

The genes for that color and pattern are mostly recessive ones.

A Rhode Island Red rooster can be a good choice, any other of the black-tailed red chickens (New Hampshire, Production Red, Buckeye)

The genes for that color and pattern are mostly recessive ones.
Oh awesome!! I’ll have to look into those. Thank you

Was just thinking today. Have always liked Mosaic. How would those genes work compared to BBS?

Oh awesome!! I’ll have to look into those. Thank you

Was just thinking today. Have always liked Mosaic. How would those genes work compared to BBS?
Short answer: black chicks and blue chicks with various amounts of silver/white leakage or possibly gold/red leakage.

Longer answer:

The blue gene (Blue and Splash) will affect any feathers that would otherwise be black.

The genes for a solid black chicken are dominant over most of the other color & pattern genes in chickens. So if the BBS chickens have the genes to be solid black (with some turned to blue or splash), then their chicks will probably also show solid colors of black or blue.

But "solid black" chickens (BBS) can show various amounts of leakage (other colors) in some cases, especially if one parent has a pattern with lots of gold or silver and little or no black. Crossing with Mosaics might make this happen, so you could get black and blue chicks show some leakage of silver (white) or gold (red/yellow/brown).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buff-black-orpington-cross.578080/page-2#post-7974557
This post shows some "black" chickens with very extensive leakage. One parent was a Buff Orpington, which is supposed to have no visible black at all, so the chicks inherited many genes that restrict black.

Back
Top Bottom